Copper washer help

Mullis23

Mike
Reaction score
so while removing my injectors i have a problem i cant get the copper washers out. I was wondering if any one had any tricks to get them out.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Pick tool, needle nose pliers., a flat screwdriver with a hook ground in it. Try soaking in kroil for a while to loosen things up

Mullis23

Mike
Reaction score
its soaking in pb blaster right now. i also had another question since pb blaster is flammable should i disable the glowplugs when i go to start it when im done. and if i need to how do you disable them.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you should be fine, only the tip gets hot down in the head. unplugging that glowplug disables it alone, or unplug the relay glowplug-side for all 8 or controller if your using the stock system.

a pick was all I ever needed, like RSDSL said;Sweet

Mullis23

Mike
Reaction score
yea a pick worked in the last truck i had, but these ones are stubborn. So are two of the injectors.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like you had some soot in there and maybe the threads seized a lil :dunno

it all likes to glue together. those seats probably could be reamed but it isnt that big a deal. I figure the washer is there more for setting the injector depth than sealing, the threads right behind seal too:dunno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The injecter threads have nothing to do with the sealing in the head. The copper washer is the only thing that creates a seal. Also the thickness of the copper washer does not set the injecter depth in the head. True... You could files the copper gasket down to drop the injecters deeper in the precups but are you sure the gasket will be the same thickness and be square to the seat in the head and injecter.... Not very likely... That gasket needs to be strong enough the handle around 500 lbs of cranking compression. No telling how much its being asked to handle at 3500 rpm with 12 lbs of boost added to the intake charge....

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The injecter threads have nothing to do with the sealing in the head. The copper washer is the only thing that creates a seal. Also the thickness of the copper washer does not set the injecter depth in the head. True... You could files the copper gasket down to drop the injecters deeper in the precups but are you sure the gasket will be the same thickness and be square to the seat in the head and injecter.... Not very likely... That gasket needs to be strong enough the handle around 500 lbs of cranking compression. No telling how much its being asked to handle at 3500 rpm with 12 lbs of boost added to the intake charge....
Not sure where the gasket comes into play there unless you meant washer but the washer is what the injector bottoms out on ain't it?

I could see soot past the washers so if the threads didn't catch it then I have no clue what didcookoo. Stick two or three washers on top of each other and let me know if the injector winds up in the same spotLOL. Of course they wouldn't seal then, but just saying depth-wise. I know they are suppose to seal but all 8 of the ones that were on my truck when I bought it showed signs of not containing everything

And no I don't mean that rude, I'm still learning...

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nothing rude about talking here. Yes... stacking up several copper gaskets or seals... whatever you need to identify them with will not hold... Thats been proven many times already here. Mostly from members not knowing or seeing the copper gaskets or washers on the ends of the pulled injecters. I believe the correct name for these copper washers is gasket. Thats what they do. They seal something therefore they are a gasket. I understand why they are so often called... Washer... They look like a copper washer. Sometimes it tuff going back and forth with terminology here. I recal when I was told about the filter to injection pump lines gaskets were told to me that the name was olive.... Sure don't know why they are called that.... Maybe because they look just like a sliced olice on a pizza....:dunno:angel:-Drool Makes me hungry for a pizza right now... Lots of mushrooms and sausage on it... Plenty of cheese.... Hmmm.... So hungry.... Can't hold on... Must go now.....:angel:

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess I should go back and ream the seats then, mine werent looking too good. Might give it more pep too when it's sealed proper:dunno.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a very stubborn washer to get out...soaked it with PB-Blaster...then with a long thin screwdriver I gave it a few taps around its diameter to break it loose. Then used a dental pick to retrieve it.

Mullis23

Mike
Reaction score
hammer that worked perfect thanks ;Sweet but i have another problem now two of the injectors will turn in the bore but wont come out. I need some advice on what to do. Keep soaking in pb blaster and keep trying or what im stumped fellas.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if the top end separates from the bottom end, then take the top end and file/grind the threads off completely. then spin in back into the lower and pull out or keep spinning as you were when you threaded back on. **That is, if you are getting new injectors**

Otherwise keep trying, you probably just have soot on the end catching :dunno

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin