coolant temperature switches needed

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For controlling e-fans. Need to be of the grounding type, like the one that triggers the overheat light on the dash. One should probably be something like 200-on-180-off, the other will depend on how well the first one works but probably something like 220-on-200-off. Where do I find such switches? McMaster-Carr failed me, Grainger only shows HVAC stuff for ducts but nothing liquid-submersible...

Edit: Summit has them listed as electric fan thermostat sending units at around $30-$40 a piece. Would be nice to find some OEM application that don't cost quite as much.

Last edited:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have a single switch controlling both your fans? I got a low-flow and a high-flow fan (Windstar assembly), I want separate switch for each one. Right now they are on manual switches, so I have a 3-stage setup - just cruising on the flat lands requires the low-flow fan to be on all the time, climbing a small grade I can kill low-flow and kick in the high-flow instead, and pulling up a long and steep grade may call for both to be running. Downhill she cools down without any fan action needed.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
perhaps the senser for a ford taurus...they had a high/low fan setup

they were done through the ecu. Vw makes a water switch, two speed, early jetta stuff, weird big metric thread but could be adapted I bet, usually about 20 bucks and they have 3 heat ranges IIRC.

Reaction score

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
perhaps the senser for a ford taurus...they had a high/low fan setup
Those have a sensor that feeds the ECM, which in turn turns the fans on low or high depending on which relay it feeds them power thru - low speed gets the 40-amp relay and a dropping resistor, high speed is full power thru a 60-amp relay.

Vw makes a water switch, two speed, early jetta stuff, weird big metric thread but could be adapted I bet, usually about 20 bucks and they have 3 heat ranges IIRC.
Oh, that sounds like it would work out good. What model years Jetta would have those, like mid-'80s or early-'90s?

I know you already found the Summit one, but just to throw out another option:

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/52125/10002/-1?parentProductId=943351

Not too bad of a price, plus it lets you dial in the engagement temp to exactly what you'd like.

What about just putting the fan on a switched relay you control from inside? I always wanted to have a fan setup where I could turn it on whenever I felt it was needed.
Oh, fans are on manual switches right now, it works good as is, I just want some automatic backup so I don't have to watch the gauges like a hawk all the time. The relay box is on the passenger side inner fender, and I got a coolant filter literally a foot from there that has two unused ports - I was thinking of threading the temp switches there so there is minimal amount of plumbing and wiring involved. Which is why I'm not too crazy about those adjustable sensors, they make the setup a bit more complicated and less robust than I want it.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you wouldn't want a 200 on 180 off because then that fan would never turn off.
remember the normal operating temp of the idi under load is oem fan passable up to 237 degrees.
you really don't want imho a fan coming on until at least 210 or 220 then a high speed either manually or something like 230.just got to keep her below 240 and all is good.no need to spin a fan all the time.the t-stat is 192,and she'll run a bit over that on the hills.keeping a fan on low while cruising empty down the road is a waste of energy.if she's not reading 240,you really don't even need a fan on.
if your running empty down the hwy,and the grill is open,you'll never see an e-fan spin.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I know the low-flow fan will rarely turn off, that's kind of the point LOL Btw my numbers were chosen slightly lower than what you recommend due to placement of temp switches - in head of coolant filter, which is in parallel with heater core.

Delta Controllers are nice for what they do, but they are not what I'm after - I want a stupid-simple setup I can diagnose and repair with parts readily available from just about any parts store anywhere in this great country, a custom-built controller with a lead time measured in weeks does not fit that requirement very well.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isspro makes them. If you go on ebay and search for temperature switch you can probably find something pretty easily and cheaply.

rlb245

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I no there is a single in radiator 2 pole temp switch that was used on one of shuv-ets little cars that should work. Can't remember witch one it was. God I hate getting old! It's a single switch radiator mounted and originally controlled a 2 fan relays the relays had a solid state board time delay on and off. It's high temp setting I think would be perfect 230 degrees. The normal was 190 degrees. But the time delay had a cool down. fans would run untill the temp in the radiator dropped down and after the vehicle was shut off.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I carry those temperature switches from ISSPro. I use a 200 degree one for my low speed, and a 225 for my high speed. I use constant duty starter contactors to control power to the fans on the Moose Truck.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 40 amp relay on low and 70 on high, wiring is 12 awg all the way and grounds are both to rad support and passenger side battery. I took two factory Windstar harnesses along with their relay boxes, made one harness out of the two (so I can separate the power feeds completely). Should be OK, seeing how the factory used a single 60-amp relay to power both fans together.

And thanks for the OEM application ideas and temp numbers suggestions!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner