coolant temp sensors. which ones which?

cowboytueller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys I've got a quick question on those 2 coolant temps sensors. Which sensor controls the gauge and which one controls the warning light? Fyi this question if for my 87 pickup and info is below. thanks.:dunno

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where is the warning light? I don't think my 87 has one. Owners manual says it's with the water in fuel and wait to start area but it's not.

cowboytueller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no mine doesn't either I was thinking early 80's sorry. I was just wondering where they went to? Do they work in sync with each other or does one power the gauge and something else?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Left lower head, should be the warning. 2 pronger is for fast idle and cold advance. The warning is tied in to the engine light , when you turn the key on it comes on and after running comes on with low oil pressure, high water temp. or no alt output.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
On my 89 engine the location of the dash temp gauge is the small sender just to the right of the injection pump gear cover. Now the check engine sender is located in the drivers side front of the head. Its the large 1/2 inch sender. What it does it makes the dash gause swing way over past the "L" on normal. This happens when the coolant reaches 242 degrees and felt to be in the no mans land of "your out of luck now pal" kind of area. To check this function just remove the wire and ground the wire. Do this on a cold or warmed up engine. It wont matter. All the sender does is it closes to send power to the dash gauge from grounding. Then the check engine lits comes on telling you of the danger you are facing...

cowboytueller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got another question icanfixall? What does the cold advance do? If I'm right (please correct me if i'm wrong) the cold advance is on the injection pump next to the fuel on/off switch right?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes. The cold advance is the connecter on top of the injection pump towards the firewal. The front connecter is the fuel shutoff switch or FSS...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thamojster

Members online