Coolant sensor

gfemling

Reaction score
I located this switch on ebay because a member supplied the oem part number. This is exactly my switch.I realize the electrical plug can fit either way copper to brass or copper to copper. Now remembering that the plug is also a copper and brass spade. My question remains what way does the plug correctly fit this? Copper to copper or??? Will be checking today why the oem switch failed.For members not knowing about this switch. This is a normally closed switch supplying power to the fast idle and injection pump cold advance. Sad part is this wire in the engine harness supplies power to the fuel shutoff solenoid and the solid state glow plug controller. The water in fuel light and the low vacuum along with the fuel heater is also part of this power supply. the switch is normally closed until the coolant temp reaches 120 degrees. https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OE-180...ash=item4d38a4534c:g:CQMAAOSwtfhYnWiW&vxp=mtr
A comment on above- it leaves the impression that the switch/ sensor also controls power to more than high idle and cold advance. I believe the other items on that “circuit” are really up stream from the switch and are not controlled by the switch- correct?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn't control anything upstream of the SWITCH, only controls voltage to the Cold Hi Idle, IP fuel control solenoid and IP Cold Advance Solenoid.

Gary, it's just a damn ordinary SWITCH, connector terminals color don't matter. Engineers made it that way just so we could have a thread discussing it. :dunno ;Poke

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks Bill. Sometimes I "tend" to overthink things. I agree this switch does not controll anything upstream but.. This particular wire supply's power to several other electrical items.I did find the oem fusible link in this circuit and its in good shape. As posted..I installed the inline fuse because the main engine wire harness plug failed in this area. Some years back it also failed in the power to the glow plug controller.

Alwaysreadyrob

2002 7.3 POWERSTROKE 4x4
Reaction score
Where is this located on a 94 7.3 turboed IDI ?
Coolant sensor ? Does it have a light on the dadhboard ?
This is the picture i found on ebay... says Ford Cummins, now im really confused

You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As already posted. This sensor fits the Cummins and the idi engines made by International. Please note that in 1983 Ford could not or would not make a diesel engine for their trucks. So... International made them.You will find many parts in motorcraft box but.. the part is really made by International . Our vacuum can sensor is also found on the Cummins diesel trucks... Otherwise known as Dodge pickups.. Se how confusing things can be. Many "parts" interchange between lines of trucks.