coolant level slowly low...

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok since ive owned my truck ive noticed a slow coolant loss (im assuming its a loss). no matter how much i put in the radiator it always seems to go to a certain point, not really low, just about quarter an inch below the radiator fill neck..where could this be going? bad head gaskets? i bought the oil cooler gaskets, havent put them on yet. could this be it? any ideas?

i also smell NO coolant in exhaust.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
hows the overflow reservoir? and holes in the tubing or a leaky reservoir tank?

but it actually doesn't sound like a bad thing, I haven't checked mine in a ****'s age but I think it acts the same as yours....

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you know...i havent checked that yet.. i should do that.. i was more worried i had a head gasket that was slowly going bad...

mcbg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mines the same way, I have a leaking heater core at the fire wall--I have thought about bypassing the heater core to make sure thats the only leak(should do it soon)

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
First check all the hose clamps. Usually one will be loose. Also look for a stain on any fittings and freeze plugs. Sometimes the hose to the recovery tank gets plugged up or it gets a hole in it. Check that too.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Also, your rad cap may be failing and drawing air back in when it cools down instead of drawing coolant from the tank