Coolant Leak from GP controller

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on the way to work this morning I smelt burning coolant. Investigated when I got to work. Coolant is spewing out of the GP controller. Running manual GP set up so controller is irrelevant to me now. What am I looking at here?

Thanks

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No coolant going to the GP controller so it is either being sprayed from somewhere else or it isn't coolant.

How much is spewing? Burning or steaming?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
No coolant going to the GP controller so it is either being sprayed from somewhere else or it isn't coolant.

How much is spewing? Burning or steaming?

86 and older have a different controller. It’s a 2 part system with a controller that screws into the drivers side head, by the firewall. It’s a simple bi-metal switch that like to fail on, and fry plugs. The controller activates a second solenoid on the passenger fender that runs the plugs.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
on the way to work this morning I smelt burning coolant. Investigated when I got to work. Coolant is spewing out of the GP controller. Running manual GP set up so controller is irrelevant to me now. What am I looking at here?

Thanks

I think it’s a pipe thread. Maybe someone here has one out and can tell you the size, or if you have another vehicle, pull the controller and match it up at the hardware store. The solid state controller 7.3 just have this hole plugged. Actually I the front of the passenger head (they use the same head , not a left and right) the same hole already has a plug in it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Those screw in controllers are national pipe threads. They have to be the tapered thread so they can seal for no leaks. Am not sure what the size is but they are all the same in both heads. Our engines do not have a left and right head. Both are cut or machined exactly the same.

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well update guys. Got back to the truck after work and managed to break off the GP controller in the head while attempting removal. My experience with easy outs and this soft bi-metal mentioned that the controller is made out of tells me this is going to be a major PIA fix. Planning on plugging with a pipe plug once the rest of GP controller is removed. Easy out just gonna cut right through the soft material. I swear if some of the controller body had stayed I would just JB weld over the top of it with high temp and move on since it would still be removable if needed to be one day. :smoke:

Gotta get this pig back on the road though whatever I choose to do. Boss wants me to pull the gooseneck out to the ranch tomorrow. -cuss

Right meow that ain't happenin.

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe that is a 1/2" NPT. I replaced old controller with New Style (87+) & use that port for my Coolant Temp Guage

Using the existing port for a coolant gauge is a great idea! This will be the route I will eventually take!

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will check for sure when I get home after work this morning. I have a controller on the shelf and a mountain of pipe fittings I can test it in. Harbor freight has a pipe nipple specific extractor set that would probably work well for you. I think it’s 10$ and covers 1/8 through 1”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain that it's in that same port. There's not another port in that location.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online