Coolant Filtration Question

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
So, I am about to order this for my truck http://www.dieselsite.com/1999-2003ford73lpowerstrokecoolantfiltrationsystem.aspx I am slowly working on getting everything under looking fancy and figured this is a good start! My question is to you all, does it really matter that it is for a powerstroke? I can mount that filter housing where ever I want to, I just want to double check before I order it. As far as the filter goes they all filter the same crap right? The gunk and SCA particles is my main concern. I will also be flushing the system as well, starting fresh you know?

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That "plain jane" filter head is what I have on my truck and it works great and the price is right. I think many on here have used that filter base. You will have to fab up a bracket, and many use an angle iron bolted to the filter head. Here is link to great write-up on coolant filter installation if you have not yet found it. http://www.oilburners.net/articles/coolfilter1.html.
Good luck with your install - definitely a good mod to add to the truck!

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing they're listing the filters for specific model years because of the mounting bracket. Like you said, a filter's a filter...you might have to buy different fittings for the hoses and the '99+ bracket probably wouldn't work on one of our trucks without modification, but otherwise any of those would work ;Sweet

I would recommend going with the Napa filter for two reasons. First, because it's a cheaper "Plain Jane" setup...unless you want the flashier design, I don't think there's really a reason to spend the money. Second, and more importantly...I'm not sure how readily available the Baldwin filters for the first filter head are, but the Napa filters can be found at any Napa Auto Parts stores, and that can count for a lot when you're in a rush out in the field and whatnot...

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Yeah, I've seen that post before. I as just wondering if those other ones will work as well because I am slowly making under the hood look, **** if you will..... I really like the billet Aluminum ones, just not sure if they are made for a specific flow or not.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
I'm guessing they're listing the filters for specific model years because of the mounting bracket. Like you said, a filter's a filter...you might have to buy different fittings for the hoses and the '99+ bracket probably wouldn't work on one of our trucks without modification, but otherwise any of those would work ;Sweet

I would recommend going with the Napa filter for two reasons. First, because it's a cheaper "Plain Jane" setup...unless you want the flashier design, I don't think there's really a reason to spend the money. Second, and more importantly...I'm not sure how readily available the Baldwin filters for the first filter head are, but the Napa filters can be found at any Napa Auto Parts stores, and that can count for a lot when you're in a rush out in the field and whatnot...

I could always have the napa housing powder coated :D maybe haha I really do like the price.... But I am after a flashy look.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
This is very true.... Those nice ones, however are extremely tempting.... Got me drooling.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I as just wondering if those other ones will work as well because I am slowly making under the hood look, **** if you will..... I really like the billet Aluminum ones, just not sure if they are made for a specific flow or not.
Well, if you're going for the bling look... :D (sorry, couldnt' help it)

Seriously, any coolant filter's meant to be a bypass filter, so level of flow should not be an issue ;Sweet

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmmm.they look pretty cool yeah but our lines are 5/8 they way we put them directly in the heater core lines.you know what you can do? just paint the NAPA/WIX mount up with some flashy paint or what have you and then find a universal oil filter cover that fits the coolant filter you plan on using.
https://www.google.com/search?q=chr...a=X&ei=aaODVJj4MbOTsQSEw4CQBQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg

example (i didn't research size!example only)
http://www.jegs.com/i/Trans+Dapt/96...7&cadevice=c&gclid=CLShgqnbssICFVIV7Aodh2YAMg

how about carbon fiber the filter head?
https://www.google.com/search?q=chr...cQ_AUoAg#tbm=isch&q=how+to+carbon+fiber+paint

these are just ideas but you get the point.with imagination,a little research and a few bucks,you can take pride in doing it yourself,having fun,having something no one else will have (well.show off your work when done here though and be prepared for copy cats! lol) and save some coin at the same time.
the **** without the **** price.;Really

this post reminds me a great quote by Einstein.probably my favorite:

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”

now i hope i peaked your interest cus i wanna see what you can come up with.;Sweet

Last edited:

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
I'm gonna be blingin with my hood open and the clothes gonna be fallin off the ladies and all the bros gonna be like ;Really meanwhile I'm grinnin it up! :D Ha, seriously though, I was about to order the 1994 to 1997 kit from dieselsite.com and then saw there were some more posts to this here thread and ya know.... I have to say.... My gears are turning now.... Thanks to FordF250, my interest has been peaked.... I am gonna have a bling looking filter regardless of what I do ;Sweet I'll be making a build thread here soon with everything I have done and will do.... Thanks for the ideas guys, most often, the best ideas are created from many ideas!

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I saw this at Advance or Autozone and was surprised because they did not have anything with SCA previously, last time I checked Walmart didn't have any SCA coolant. I am currently running mystery green coolant that came in the truck. No idea if it has SCA or not. Wanted to change a couple weeks ago when I had the block heater out since it was all mostly drained but held off and just reused what I had since it looked clean. Also put a filter on it a few months back too so maybe that has helped to make it clean, used a 24070 filter with no SCA in it.

I'd like to do the oil cooler orings since I'm sure they're rock hard and then do a flush and use proper coolant... But my hold-up has been availability and confusion on DCA2 vs DCA4. There are two types and they do not seem to be clearly labeled on the jug. Also not sure what the differences are, which is preferable, or what happens if you mix them. Would be nice to know which the 2407x Wix filters have and stick with that type for the coolant and if it gets low I can just use a precharged filter. I have a 6.9 so I'm not paranoid about cavitation but I'd like to get it sorted at some point.

middaymidnight

Reaction score
Can somebody explain to me why you can't run a coolant filter inline like you do a fuel bowl? Seems SO much simpler to run it in line on the hose going into the heater core, but everyone says they must be set up as a bypass setup

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I have mine inline before the heater core. People say not to because the small hole in the coolant filter will not allow enough flow to keep the heater core hot. So far with temps around freezing in early morning I have not had any issues with insufficient heat. In another month when it gets cold for real will be a better test but I don't anticipate any problem.

Nothing will break if you go in line. Worst case is lowered heater output. In real cold climates maybe it'd an issue but not for me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online