Coolant filters and antifreeze with SCA, too much of a good thing.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't want to hijack a previous thread about antifreeze.
Hope to clean out the radiator before cold weather sets in.
I've got a coolant filter on, (wix 24071) when I change the antifreeze do I need to have extra SCA's??
I don't think I would need the extra, but just curious.
Can damage be done if I go with extra SCA's???

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Wix contains the SCA, no additive is needed. Fleet Gard contains SCA's good for 100,000 miles. Extra SCA's is ******* the water pump.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Depends entirely on the antifreeze. As mentioned, Fleetguard or other pre charged antifreeze doesnt need it, the filters with the scas are for old worn out antifreeze that needs a boost in scas after testing, but then again if using non charged antifreeze , a pre charged filter is great, but if using Evans, it is not needed as SCAs are not required with Evans at all

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get some test strips and check it once you finish your flush and fill and run it. That's the only way to know, and the strip is the only "person" that can tell you what the right thing to do is. The rest of us are just guessing.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OldBull- yes this filter does have SCA's in it, I was more concerned about too much SCA doing damage.
Thought the extra SCA would be extra insurance.
This coolant filter I've only been using for a year & half, used the Motorcraft additive before this.

Another general question about the coolant filters, they are mainly used for SCA, but.
Do they have a "screening" effect or the ability to remove small particles, similar to oil filters???
The way I had mine plumbed into the heater hose/heated tank line my in cab heat was not working.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another general question about the coolant filters, they are mainly used for SCA, but.
Do they have a "screening" effect or the ability to remove small particles, similar to oil filters???
The way I had mine plumbed into the heater hose/heated tank line my in cab heat was not working

I don't know anything about coolant filters. I would think they do because there called a filter.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brad,you understand the type of coolant filter your using simply dumps the SCA's into the coolant and then they are gone from the filter correct? it's just a simple way for you to add sca's by replacing filters when required,according to the test strips,while also filtering out junk in the system.
you need to replenish the system regularly with liquid or new filters.
so if you flush the system right now and keep the old filter on there,you would just be using an old,now blank filter free of any sca's.

if you want to run a more advanced filtering/sca system,here is what i do;
pre charged fleetcharge coolant.
penray need release filter - simply swap it out every 18 months.part# NF2088 screws onto the napa #4019 filter head.

now you have a filter that only releases sca's from the filter when it's needed.it does the job for you.
no more need for test strips, or flushes (according to fleetcharge's FAQ section.)

check it out;
http://www.penray.com/images/NeedReleaseRiseAboveSellSheet.pdf

http://www.fleetchargeantifreeze.com/faq.htm

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what I found about WIX 24071 filtering. But if you change the coolant, you would have to install a new filter or add SCA to the new coolant if it doesn't contain any.

These high performing WIX coolant filters help carry on proper engine heat transfer by filtering solid contaminants and minimizing corrosion and deposits in your diesel's cooling system. The fine media used removes impurities and conditions coolant to minimize scale deposits and prevent rust. Increase your engine efficiency with a clean, well-functioning cooling system and WIX coolant filters.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brad,you understand the type of coolant filter your using simply dumps the SCA's into the coolant and then they are gone from the filter correct? it's just a simple way for you to add sca's by replacing filters when required,according to the test strips,while also filtering out junk in the system.
you need to replenish the system regularly with liquid or filters.
so if you flush the system right now and keep the old filter on there,you would just be using an old,now blank filter free of any sca's.

Ok thanks, that kinda leads me to this, I just replaced the coolant filter, Wednesday in fact.
I assume these filters "emit" or let the SCA into the coolant little at a time, correct???
Thought if I would change antifreeze soon still have some SCA left in the filter.
(Dang it maybe I should grab the old filter and put it back on)

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
check my edit.i was adding stuff for ya when you were posting.it should answer those questions.

and no.WIX/napa filters are not "release as needed" type.they are simply "dump all now" type.just as if you poured in the liquid yourself.
(theres nothing wrong with that.but you must test the coolant regularly yourself via strips,just as if you pour in the liquid sca's.)
i used two of these first to clean out the crap (since they're much cheaper) before buying my first penray need release (blanks actually,with no sca's cus i couldn't dump more in my perfectly balanced new fleetcharge.but basic wix filters without sca's to clean the systems factory sand casting,which i didn't want in a more expensive filter.)

edit;
doh.fyi,.you can find the penray NF2088 on ebay for those interested.i haven't looked in a while,but that's where i found 'em cheapest last i looked/bought.

Last edited:

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check my edit.i was adding stuff for ya when you were posting.it should answer those questions.

and no.WIX/napa filters are not "release as needed" type.they are simply "dump all now" type.just as if you poured in the liquid yourself.
(theres nothing wrong with that.but you must test the coolant regularly yourself via strips,just as if you pour in the liquid sca's.)
i used two of these first to clean out the crap (since they're much cheaper) before buying my first penray need release (blanks actually,with no sca's cus i couldn't dump more in my perfectly balanced new fleetcharge.but basic wix filters without sca's to clean the systems factory sand casting,which i didn't want in a more expensive filter.)

How much are the Penray filters, roughly??

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
if you want to run a more advanced filtering/sca system,here is what i do;
pre charged fleetcharge coolant.
penray need release filter - simply swap it out every 18 months.part# NF2088 screws onto the napa #4019 filter head.

Your system is what I am moving towards, FORDF250HDXLT, except that the Penray customer service people have told me that the #NF2081 is the correct filter for the #4019.

It doesn't help that Penray publishes ZERO specs online about their filters.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your system is what I am moving towards, FORDF250HDXLT, except that the Penray customer service people have told me that the #NF2081 is the correct filter for the #4019.

It doesn't help that Penray publishes ZERO specs online about their filters.

http://www.penray.com/products/products.asp?x=&y=302&y3=308&y4=340&articlesource=340

nf2088 is the one that fits the napa head with 11/16-16 threads.

im unaware of the part# they gave you.sadly,they were incorrect.the reason im sure is because i have this combo.

the filters are roughly 35$ via ebay.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
im unaware of the part# they gave you.sadly,they were incorrect.the reason im sure is because i have this combo.

Looks like I'm the one unaware.... The number they gave is actually NF2091, which is on the Penray webpage. Since they both fit the "standard bracket," the only difference appears to be the cooling system size.

NF2088 for 8-20 gallons, NF2091 for 8 gallon or less. Since I recall that our engines are at about 8 gallons, I'm thinking either would work. Since mine will need to frame-mount underbody, I might opt for the smaller.

My error, FORDF250HDXLT. Thank you. :dunno

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh yeah,interesting.i suppose whichever you find for the best deal at the time really.
since it's a need release,it's not like a larger one is going to dump in any extra at once.so they must put more sca's in the 2088.this way it can release more for the larger system so all filters get the same change interval spec.
so one might kinda not rush maintenance of the 2088 with an idi.perhaps let things slide for an extra month or two,or three then lol.;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk