coolant filter fitting size question

icemannocal

Reaction score
I am installing my water pump from a previous thread and would like to add the coolant filter from this thread and don't know what size these "T" fittings and "90s" these are. Does anyone know? Also the ball valves?

You must be registered for see images attach

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It says 1/2" on the Tee fitting, so I would guess 1/2 inch.

mbarry98

Reaction score
Yes they are 1/2 with 5/8's nipples for the hose. I have this set up it works great but one thing not mentioned in the build thread was you need to be cautious of the clearance with the hood. I have a cowl hood and it comes within 1/4in of the hood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just went out and looked...based on the markings, it looks like the fittings on the filter head are 3/8"; so are the ball valves and everything between the filter head and the T-fitting. The T-fitting has the one 3/8" port and the other two ports (the two that lead to the hose nipples) are 1/2". From there, find a hose to pipe adapter that's 1/2" NPT on one side and snugly fits a 5/8" hose on the other side ;Sweet

It's really sad how much things have corroded in the 11 1/2 years since I put that together...you almost can't read the numbers anymore, and I had to take some steel wool to the fittings to make them as legible as they are in the picture! The good news is, the pipework and the hoses are holding up very well ;Sweet

Yes they are 1/2 with 5/8's nipples for the hose. I have this set up it works great but one thing not mentioned in the build thread was you need to be cautious of the clearance with the hood. I have a cowl hood and it comes within 1/4in of the hood.
You're absolutely correct, and I wish I could go back and edit the original post (unfortunately, it's written as an HTML file on OB's server as opposed to being a message thread, so one of the webmasters would have to do it). On my setup, the 90 degree fitting for the hose going to the water pump actually was in contact with the bottom of the hood :shocked: There's a paint spot worn off on the hood, and you can now see a flat spot on the flange on the fitting. No harm done, thank goodness, but it IS something to be careful of. If I were to go back and do it again, I'd drill the mounts for the filter a bit lower on the bracket, then clock things so there wouldn't be any chance of contact.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I purchased a 6.0 coolant filter.
has valves on the filter head itself, and made for a super clean install

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I am not grasping is all this valving....

I can see a need if mounting below rad level but if at fuel filter head you likely wont siphon feed off much if any coolant.

Just whats in filter....

Kinda sorta trying figure this out is all...

gandalf

Reaction score

I can see a need if mounting below rad level but if at fuel filter head you likely wont siphon feed off much if any coolant.

Just whats in filter....

I think part of the answer is that some people close off their cab heater in the summer. To do that they need a number of valves to re-route the coolant back to the engine. These people live down here in the milder climates, not up in the far far frozen north (Canada). :D

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think part of the answer is that some people close off their cab heater in the summer. To do that they need a number of valves to re-route the coolant back to the engine. These people live down here in the milder climates, not up in the far far frozen north (Canada). :D
I will attempt to dig up pics...bit last year 42 c was non isse for temps...it was **** hot here too...this year I have brushed up against 100F on my deck in shade....

So...

Whatchutalkinboutwillis

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's mine. Made a 1/4" dent in the insulation. Works great. I used the Ranger vacuum valve (in tech articles) when I did it.

Last edited:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just whats in filter....

I didn't realize two valves counted as "all this valving" -Lame

As to why I put them there...I was told at the time that it was a good idea to have shutoff valves on both sides of the filter to minimize coolant loss when changing filters. Filter location was not factored into that discussion, and I tend to the "better safe than sorry" side of the equation, and there's really no harm done, is there? Also, if the filter somehow got damaged, this way the filter can be isolated.

The other fittings are just so I could run the hoses with as few bends as possible ;Sweet

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No issues with changing my filter. Just turn the A/C on max and close the one additional valve. Near 0 coolant loss...fill the new filter b4 install.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize two valves counted as "all this valving" -Lame
there's really no harm done, is there? Also, if the filter somehow got damaged, this way the filter can be isolated.

That is why I did the two valve coolant filter on my 6.0.