Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy crap! What an impressive project.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow... I'm not really sure why this guy did what he felt was the proper machining work but none the less. He did it. Clearly knows enough to be dangerous. I noticed the differant oil filter adapter and wonder what hes using for a oil pressure regulater or an oil bypass vlave. I see he did away with the factory oil cooler too so I'm thinking he has no oil pressure regulater and thats why the gasket blew off the front oil cooler flange on the block. At any rate. Machining the ring grooves larger is not the right thing to do. Why not buy the correct early rings that fit those pistons. Would I trust that engine under water even if its just a few feet... Nope. Like I said.. The guy needs a little more machining information and better understanding of this engine. I do like the look and shape of the exhaust manifolds but I hope they are not aluminum material. And those exhaust check vlaves are not going to flow enough gas or will last very long. They surely are not designed for 1000+ degree exhaust gas. Now if those manifolds were stainless steel the might work. They still are an interesting design I give him props for that.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holeeshite,

Ridge reamer goes IN BEFORE you remove pistons and cut out ridge so you don't damage ring lands *** over?

Cutting piston ring grooves wider, hmmm...Ya suppose it can work, *****.

Wow all I can say is to quote a movie....stupid is as stupid does.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder why he said they only turn to 2600? I ran mine up to 3500 before, and max rated HP is around there too isnt it?
Riotwwarrior, does it matter if you cut the ridges with piston either in or out, as long as you take it out from the bottom, no ring lands should be damaged?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Riotwwarrior, does it matter if you cut the ridges with piston either in or out, as long as you take it out from the bottom, no ring lands should be damaged?

Have you ever tried to remove a piston from the bottom of a block? I'm just curious, cause I've never seen it done that way in 35 years, other than say like a barrel for a cylinder like a volkswagon or a motorcycle.

I'm just curious is all cause if you've done it can you please provide video of said procedure?

Al

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I too have never seen a V8 being able to drop the pistons out the bottm. Surely the crank would have to be removed first but the main bearing block webs are in the way from what I can see. I do give this sub builder props for trying but he really is missing plenty of machine work. Now maybe he did all the other work and just didn't viedo it but I'm thinking not. As for his ability to use a lathe and dial indicater.. Nope. As for machining the pistons.. Nope. I thought everyone knew the pistons had a steel ring gland on the top ring groove.. Maybe not... In one of the viedos you can see the cylinder bore is way out at the top. As for removing the ring groove with the pistons still in the cylinders.. I guess its ok but why is a better question. Your going to replace at least the rings so push them out and be done with it. I feel this guy did plenty of utube watching and felt he had a grip on whats needed. Never will I use that suction cup valve grinder tool he has and the lapping compound.. You need to know what your using.. Not a course or fine grit. In my power plant experiance I have used a rock in some oil compound all the way down to 1200 grit lapping compound. I was able to make a mirror finish on safety vlave seats. Not many mechanics can claim that ability either. I'm just wondering how this guy "learned" what he learned. No way do you move the intake manifold to install the injection pump. So whats going to happen when he needs to remove the pump next time.. Did any of you watching this see those heads had no freeze plugs in the heads on the intake manifold sides. I thought only the 6.9 engines had that issue and as for his feeling about reusing the valley pan gasket....:D

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gary, the idea of cutting out ridge prior to piston removal is so rings don't catch that ridge, and damage lands on the piston. If ridge is small no issue, however I've seen guys reuse pistons with large ridges and could not physically remove the pistons without cutting out the groove. CHEAP, re-ring and bearings rebuild to get comp up and stop smoking engine, sell the car/truck n be done!

If there is that much of a ridge that you need to ream it, you likely need to bore it too! JM2CW

Al

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy crap he's building his own submarine. That is wild. Neat to look through.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Al, now that you mention it, I totally forgot when i rebuilt my 302 in the mustang i pounded the pistons out from the top! No ridge though, it was still a fresh bore.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He's definitely got some ambitions, but from my brief read I don't think his engineering skill is quite up to the task.... notice that I don't see anything about it ever working in the end....

My degree is mechanical engineering, I have a fair amount of familiarity with marine engineering and submarines and I don't think I could really design something like that. Least wise not enough to trust going underwater with. Among other thing his hull form is pretty poor for underwater work - there's a reason everything is curved on a real sub. Even only going to 35 ft, you'd need to design for 50-75 psi (100-150 ft collapse depth) on everything that you plan to maintain at atmospheric pressure. (ie, the entire cabin, unless it's free flooding) Buoyancy control is also not trivial especially with partially free flooding spaces - as you sink any air compressed, causing a reduction in buoyancy causing further sinking, etc. You're displaced volume also has to be close to the weight of the boat causing many headaches for designers.

BrandonBerkosky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
before I KnewA Thing Or Two I Tried Taking Pistons Out From The Bottom. While They Were Still All Attached To The Crank. Lol. Don't Know What I Was Thinking. But The Ones That Did Drop Out A Little Were Stuck Down Once The Rings Expanded. I.Know I Know Cool Story Bro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online

No members online now.