Value of early 90s idi dually with blown motor

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been on truck restriction so long I don't know what these are going for. Don't have a lot of details. I'm in the foothills around sacramento ca. As values depend on geography. Don't have many details yet. Just hopping to get ballpark. Free to 500 bucks? Or are they going for more.

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would need more details. It'd be a steal in the 0-500 range if the body is clean, at least by California market standards.

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If 500 is a steal what's fair? Seems like you could end up spending a lot to get it going. On the upside there is a turbo. Not sure if it's stock or not.

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a 92 with the extra cab. From what I can tell body is straight and interior is fair.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Auto or manual, how is interior, is it 2wd or 4x4?
In my opinion, clean truck with bad motor, but good zf or good e4od would still be worth 500-1000 to me, just in parts

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't sold a turbo setup for less than $1,000, so there is that. I paid $2,000 for my 86 extended cab with decent paint, a dirty but in good shape interior, and a bad pump/injectors/filter/everything that normally goes wrong, no turbo. This was also in 2020 and prices have only gone up.

I was looking at a 92 single cab ZF5 turboed truck that needed engine work, a new transfer case, and an entire exhaust system. Got him down to $1500. It was definitely a bit of a project as well.

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's a ZF5, 2wd I get about $800 on those, selling a 4x4 SBF ZF5 (351, 302, 300) tomorrow for $1200. These are all CA prices, not prices from the land of reasonable states. Sold my last C6 for $300. Worst off you get a parts truck and make some money on it, even with just the turbo kit.

I've got a line on engines and parts near Santa Clarita that I'll be looking at fairly soon, should you need a good motor.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go for it, keep it, don't get rid of it. They don't make these anymore, save the IDI fords....... and broncos....... and anything else that's cool that they don't make anymore. Honda 3 wheelers for @IDIBRONCO , black goth looking basses for @Nero and Suzuki samurais because he likes them too(for some reason), Stihl 044 chainsaws, Atari game consoles, copies of "Frampton comes alive", dually rims, gold, silver, and used motor oil, get these things.....hoard them, start forums about your collecting of them, and most of all have fun and marry someone who enjoys this stuff with you.

Edit: thanks @Cubey , and hey if you get it make it come alive like Frampton but maybe without the talk box or everyone will think you're on probation with a breathalyzer.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's a ZF5, 2wd I get about $800 on those, selling a 4x4 SBF ZF5 (351, 302, 300) tomorrow for $1200. These are all CA prices, not prices from the land of reasonable states. Sold my last C6 for $300. Worst off you get a parts truck and make some money on it, even with just the turbo kit.

I've got a line on engines and parts near Santa Clarita that I'll be looking at fairly soon, should you need a good motor.
From what I’ve seen California trucks can be cheaper than Kansas trucks, and in better condition. Lots of people want 3.5-5 thousand for trucks that need tons of work. My truck needed (read that needs) lots, but I scored it for only $900. Then again it is an 86, that 1990 with axed wiring, bad IP, but turbo, strong-ish motor (bad IP remember), 5 speed, no rust dually with decent flatbed, although just 2WD, I gave $2k for

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found out it an automatic. That and not having the 4 doors (only extra cab), and no four wheel drive mean it has to be a great deal for me to pull the trigger.

These prices are running, or with blown motor? Re-reading, I think that's just for the transmission. You sound like you sell a lot of these things, and you're in California so your prices are likely not too far off. It's not ZF5 (or even manual). Given it's not exactly what I'd like, and it would be more work, AND my progress on "little foot" - I probably should steer clear unless it on the lower end of the spectrum and I can't lose. I would like to be in the < $500 for a truck that doesn't run, but based on the feedback, that is likely optimistic. Getting a bit more info, I think the seller wants around $1200. Seems kinda high - but maybe it's fair. I think I'll wait and see what happens. Diesel is almost $6/gallon here. With the economy slowing down, if it doesn't sell right away, it may be cheaper later.

$2000 for truck smashed by a tree is dumb unless it's great running IDIT with ZF5, 4wd, kingpin dana 60, and a clean tailgate. Then maybe... Anyone selling that truck with 4 doors - cause that's what I want(not smashed of course) - probably just don't want to pay for it (I expect I will choke when I hear the prices they are going for). I see power strokes for over 20K. For 30 year old truck. Bananas. Anyhow looks like I digressed.

Last edited:

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Parts trucks are subjective ,but lately I can't tow something home for less than a grand ( prk prices) with the stupid scamdemic prices people are expecting nowadays....
Seems like (to me) a 4 dr should be worth more...
Builders are a different experience, I'd be happy to pay for a solid base to build on, (I have 10+ parts trucks in the rockcrawler) what's the plan here?
(Goes back to hunt answer above)
I'm in for the tailgate if you buy it.

Eta
C list/facbook prices are stupid.
Asking price cut in half for starters as a starting point.
Tell him you will give him "x dollars" anytime.
Throw a comfortable # at him with/as a standing offer that He can just say uncle and you'll be on your way to buy it.
This often pays off.
If it's not a good deal, stall, watch it come down then pick it up.
Who said "save the idi's"? ;Sweet

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
With the economy slowing down, if it doesn't sell right away, it may be cheaper later.
This is most likely going to happen. If not to this truck, then to another in the future. It's what I'm waiting for. I just have to have patience. Around here, in Kansas, I'm starting to see trucks being priced lower than they were a year ago. Most of them are still wanting too much money for me to be very interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online