Converting to pushbutton start

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my switches got here saturday and I got everything hooked up and running. They work great! now all I need the key for is to unlock the steering wheel. Now everytime I start the truck I say "gentlemen, start your engines!!!" and start my truck like its a stock car. Very cool! thanks everyone especially LCAM for your help. If it wasnt raining Id go get a picture for you of it

sounds like you got it setup like mine ;Sweet. Only difference is my key still controls ignition for safety:angel:

chris_wei17

Reaction score
Forgive me for playing grave digger on this one, but I figured I wouldnt open up a new thread for a simple question. Everyone seems to want to hook up glow plugs to their own switch, and for different conditions and plug life I can understand this. I See why you would need a switch for possible injectors, the starter solenoid, and other things as well if you chose to go this multi button "full control" route. but for the sake of arguement, curiousity, and simplicity...why has nobody suggested just pulling all the wires from the key column and hooking them to as many switches as there are groups of wires that are hot at the same time with a push button to run the starter only when needed. I have a 1994 Turbo F250 with the IH engine, so I think I'm in the right place, but when I turn the key to on you hear the relays go then hear it cycling and then youre good to start it up if you wanted to wait for it. That being said, wouldnt it just be easier to let the truck run all those things just as it had been instead of having to do it on your own?

wmoguy

Reaction score
subscribing!

Funny enough, I was about to post a similar thread!

Can someone who's done this post up a wiring diagram?

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
I burned up a 6 month old, 80 dollar set of Beru glowplugs because of a bad glowplug "brain". Never again. Hell, I've got my glowplugs hooked to a momentary switch and never use them because the truck starts without them.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything on my ignition is still automatic except glowplugs. Using manual control allows people to run other good glowplugs that dont swell. You can make it so that you flip a switch to control between automated or pushbutton glowplugs but i dont trust any variance of controller for these. Last idi was 94.... 8 year old minimum technology that isnt cheap and could kill all eight glowplugs. Most people love how simple IDIs are. A button is pretty simple, cheap, reliable.

One could steal an idi with a strand of wire. You can run ip off of a toggle switch, glowplugs and starter on a momentary. No brains to complicate anything. Ive also rigged a toggle switch under the hood so i can be under the hood while it cranks over.

Dead man switches and other crap will not stop any would be thief that knows about the truck. I have started and driven my truck without keys, a piece of wire, and my knife. Take wire, expose ends. Manually trigger glowplug relay for several++ seconds, then nip the wire in three if you have an e-pump, otherwise two. Expose new ends. manually jump epump from relay to hot, just wrap wire around stud and run it through the relay blades' hole. Then pop fss off ip and run wire through the hole on that blade terminal, wrap on pos.

Then jump starter relay and hop in, drive off. Takes longer typing than doing and is good food for thought. Can be useful too if you lose the keys while camping / out :)