Converting to pushbutton start

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Well my ignition key wont start the truck and I want to convert to a toggle switch setup. I think I want the key only to activate the fss and make everything else on a toggle.

I plan to run a main acc switch (everything that comes on when the ignition is on like radio, wipers...),

a glowplug switch- how do I wire it up so the wts light comes on and it still works as usual? I know the solid state is pretty good but when starting the truck when warm theres no need to waste the plugs

a starter switch- this one I will just run 12 volts to the top starter post right?

a fast idle switch- something that ive been meaning to do for a while now

I would like to hear how people have done something like this and get their opinions. thanks!

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put ALL the KEY-ON accessories on a big constant-duty solenoid that can be triggered by a toggle (or the key).

The push-button start is simple; just route the push-button wire to the fender-mounted starter relay/solenoid and connect it where the key-switch is currently connected.

I like a toggle-switch disable on any push-button starter, so someone can't push the starter-button when the engine is running. ;Sweet

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like my radio and C.B. to be all-the-time-HOT; thus, I can listen to either without anything else being ON. ;Sweet

gatorman21218

Reaction score
ok, now what wires do i need to mount to the ACC solenoid?

I think then I will mount the cb and radio on a separate toggle there for I can just turn all the toggles off and not have to remember to turn them off individually.

I will put the glowplugs and starter on a momentary toggle that way they cant be accidentally flipped on.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Wiring your CB through the toggle will hold back the power potential of the radio...it's better to just hardwire it to your battery with an inline fuse and use the on/off knob on the radio....

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
I run a 30 amp myself...I believe it's a bit overkill...but hey. I actually contemplated getting a stereo amplifier install kit and using that....I may still go that route.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
ok Ive think ive got it all figured out now except for the wires that go on the solenoid. How do i hack them up?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wiring your CB through the toggle will hold back the power potential of the radio...it's better to just hardwire it to your battery with an inline fuse and use the on/off knob on the radio....

That is probably true for a highly tuned radio; but, for a legal un-molested 4-watt output, the tiny hair-like inline fuse that comes with the radio is plenty sufficient to the task.

On the other hand, I have seen radios melt a stainless whip and it droop over like wet spaghetti when the mike was keyed. ;Really