converting to a duallie

jeffgordon24

91 f250 kingcab 4*4
Reaction score
i want to convert my f 250 into a rear duallie.i will keep the same frt set up just want to put the wheels in the back . i heard the suspension is the same . will i have to get longer studs . i know i will probably have to cut the rear quarter panels to fit . anybody do this ,any pictures of this set up thanks

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Studs shouldnt be a problem, Ford used longer than needed studs on the 10.25 axles. The problem your going to have is the axle. A dually axle is wider than a SRW. You can buy spacers to set the wheels out so they clear the springs but then the wheels will be farther out than the hubs, this can put additional strain on the wheel bearings. Several members here have done it with good results, so I can be done its just not a simple rim swap.
Also bud rims use a different lug than the SRW trucks do.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steve described it good - basically if you try to put dually wheels on the SRW axle the inboard pair will rub on the springs (Cat Rebel can confirm this, as he tried it on his SRW truck as a mockup after he put the new flat bed on it), you'll either need spacers or a complete dually axle. How wide you want your truck to be? A dually-convert with SRW axle and spacers will be about 7ft wide, as a comparison your SRW truck is about 6ft and a true dually is about 8ft wide. One more thing - if you keep the SRW front wheels and go to duallies in the rear, you now have to carry two spare wheels, as wheels will be different front to rear...

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best way to do this is find a wrecked F350 with duals and get the rear axle springs and bed from it. They'll be a direct bolt-on to your existing frame with no issues and you'll have the fiberglass fender extensions. That's what the previous owner did with mine. If you didn't know that the Ford never made an F250 dually you'd never be able to tell it isn't factory by looking at it.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all you will need to 2" spacers for each side. the drw rear axle is 4" wider then a srw axle. trust me i have measured them recently. i would just buy 4 2" spacers and do it to the frt and rear. that way all you need is one spare. by the time you buy a drw axle you have already bought all the spacers and your ready to go.

jeffgordon24

91 f250 kingcab 4*4
Reaction score
Darrin your talking about how much for the spacers
The reason i want to do this is i hear a rumour going around that we will nedd a duallie to pull a 5er in the near future if the trailer is over 30 ft

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
My vote is for the dualley spacers from Arrowcraft. Yeah they're salty but much easier to install than springs and axle.
Not sure about having to have a dually to pull a fiver over 30' but they do make for a more stable ride due to the extra width.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Depends what it's going on, if it's a flatbed / dumptruck then look for a cab & chasses axle. If your making a dually pickup then look for a pickup axle & bed.

t-roymoose

Reaction score
It all depends on what you are going for. Are you wanting the look or the dually benifets. Spacers will give you the look but may cause other problems. I say if you are gonna do it, do it right.

Having a dually has its down-falls. Buying six tires sucks compared to buying four. Rocks can get stuck between the tires. And parking can be a pain sometimes. The fenders can break easily if you aren't careful (people like to use them as steps no matter how many times you yell at them).

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha, there's an easy solution to the rocks between the rear tires problem - jusr run a full set of 285s or wider on the stock wheels, tires press against each other all the time then ;Really - no gap = no problem, saw that on a newer F350 few days ago cookoo

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Darrin your talking about how much for the spacers
The reason i want to do this is i hear a rumour going around that we will nedd a duallie to pull a 5er in the near future if the trailer is over 30 ft
My parts truck was converted you want the parts? The bed is gone but all the rest is there.

Attachments

• various 019.jpg
    various 019.jpg
    901.4 KB · Views: 4
  • various 021.jpg
    various 021.jpg
    809.3 KB · Views: 3
  • various 024.jpg
    various 024.jpg
    880.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 87.JPG
    87.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 4

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
IMO, go for the real dually axle. Then you've got the option to change the ratio, redo the brakes, locker, posi, whatever *before* you go installing it in the truck.

I'm not a fan of the big dually fenders. I like something more utilitarian like a flatdeck or a logger's box. I'd resort to cutout flares and lawn edging if it came down to it. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online