Converting the lug pattern on a Ford one ton????????

Reaction score
I know this has been the subject of much conversation and debate amongst some friends and I so now I am bringing it up on here. I found a D80 disk brake dually rear out of a 2000 Ford, but it has the newer metric eight lug pattern. I want to use it under my 95 Ford with the older eight lug pattern. I want that D80 but what am I looking at in matching the lug pattern? Would I be better off changing the lug pattern on the D60 front end or the D80 rear? What kind of cost and I looking at? Can I find the parts needed in salvage yards? If I cannot do this for a low cost I will just keep the Sterling rear I already have.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
You sure it's a Dana 80, and not a Sterling 10.5?
Dana 60 front can be changed using factory parts (newer Fords still use it).

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
You sure it's a Dana 80, and not a Sterling 10.5?
Dana 60 front can be changed using factory parts (newer Fords still use it).

Reaction score
i am very certain it is a D80, that is why I want it. What does Ford till use the D60 on? If they are still using it with the new lug pattern that would solve me problem.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
I have read over on some of the hot-rod boards that companies like Moser or Superior or ??? a few others I can't remember will weld the holes and redrill a set of axles for a fairly reasonable price.

Maybe they could do the brake drums/disks too. :dunno

Don't know for sure, but thought I would throw it out there.

Reaction score
That is exactly the idea we came up with a while back. However getting them precise was the problem. I did not know you could send them off to be done. That way I am still using the same parts it cme with and not having to buy anything. If the costs to have it done is reasoneble it might be worth it. They will have to weld and drill the hubs and I think I can get rotors that already have the correct lug pattern.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
I built a Dana 60 for the rear of my Dad's Jeep; it started life as a regular 8-lug truck rear axle- we turned down the hub and re-drilled it to 5 x 5 1/2.

Because we narrowed it we ordered a set of custom 35-spline axle-shafts. Its the first rear axle that has lived and we are going on 6 or 7 years worth of abuse now.

Anyways re-drilling the hub while we had it chucked up in the lathe was pretty easy. I don't believe they are hardened in any way.

Reaction score
I wish I had a lathe... and a mill... and a, anyway getting off track. The hubs are the biggest challenge I think. I was thinking welding the lug hoe in that and redrilling them will solve the problem if I was using a Sterling. Because then all I need are Van rear brakes. But I do not know about that D80. Does it use the same rear brakes and the sterlings?

Reaction score
Those are D50s, unless Ford brought back the D60 front on the 250 and 350 recently. That is the problem, nothing that I need can switch back and forth.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dana 60 was in the 99 up superduty dually's if I remember correct. Solid Dana 50's where in the SRW trucks. Not sure about swapping parts between the generations. The Superduty's use Unitized bearings now. Might be better better off grabbing a dually superduty axle also. And your all easy to find replacement parts.

I would think a decent machine shop in your area should be able to take the hubs and brakes and redrill them for the correct pattern. Might not even need to weld up the old holes. Can't you just put the new holes between the old holes? Might be too little material, but either way a decent machine shop should be able to do this. My only concern is when it's time to replace a brake drum/disc or a hub goes bad you have to do it all again to a new part.

Good luck. Can't blame you for beeefing it up. Cool looking truck by the way!

Reaction score
I did not know the 60 was used past 99, that is good to know. Although you are correct about the hubs being different. That is the main reason I did not go with a new model front end. The free spin kits are way high. I contacted a few machine shops in the area and once I mentioned brake parts, they wanted nothing to do with it. I did think about just drill out between the old holes but once I set the up down to measure it I quickly changed my mind. You wre correct, there woul dnot be enough material left. The other concern i have you hit right on the head. Replacing these parts will not be a simple trip to the parts store.

I think the stock sterling is pretty strong and I was running slightly larger tires i would leave it alone. However, I have a full set of 42 in load range H tires waiting to go on. So, I think some axle beef will be a good idea.

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dodge used a dana 80 in both single and dually with the 8-6.5 pattern till around 2004 i believe, may be able to swap hubs and rotors? or get a rear out of a dodge and move the perches