Continuing difficulties in obtaining new injectors

gatorman21218

Reaction score
George, the IDI turbo was given an HP rating that was just 10 more than the NA version. This is classic marketing at it's best! Ford was getting squeezed by GM who started offering the 6.5 with a turbo, and so they needed a turbo option, but they also had the PSD in the offing which would have been introduced with an embarrasingly low HP by comparison to an IDI that was being "allowed to run". The 7.3 turbo pump, injectors, turbo, and downpipe were all designed to increase emissions compliance. NOT horsepower. G injectors are no better at delivering more fuel at higher presure than double B's. The pop presure of the G code injectors may have been a little higher in an attempt to improve atomization, but in reality it was just another part number they wanted to throw into the mix to make it look like they were really trying to get the emissions down. These are dog and pony injectors if you understand what I mean. Besides, in todays world, the double B's are all you can really buy new, and the other letter codes are meaningless on a rebuilt injector because the nozzle is what determined the letter code, and most of those are BB nozzles now anyway. It's easy to get lost in the technology when you don't take politics into consideration.

I thought the IDI Turbo numbers were so low in order to compete with the 460? I could be wrong I was a small child at that time but thats what I heard somewhere

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the old kit hypermax made to convert from the stanadyen db2 to a boche p7100 inline pump theres no link to it any more but last I heard they still have a few on the shelf if you call them they can tell you about it.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the biggest limiting factor in big power numbers is that this is a precup engine.

Worstenemy453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldnt the biggest factor be the high compression which limits the boost you can safely run. Ive never seen a high powered N/A diesel.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
the biggest limiting factor in big power numbers is that this is a precup engine.

I agree with this. cummins, powerstroke, duracrap all can make big numbers, but the ol detroit 6.5s and the navistar 420,444 cannot seem to go anywhere close to that.

BTW how did this thread become one of those 300HP IDI threads?

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yes but no, with the injection system on these its not because the DB2 is less eficent in a DI aplication but inturms of engine eficentcy yes.

Black dawg

Reaction score
the injectors are not the restriction in fuel volume, they have to move whatever amount of fuel the pump pushes through them, but bigger higher flowing injectors do it in a shorter amount of time. small injectors at a high fuel rate take longer to inject all the fuel, so some of the fuel is too late to burn 100% efficiently. bigger injectors get it done quicker in a more efficient window.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the injectors are not the restriction in fuel volume, they have to move whatever amount of fuel the pump pushes through them, but bigger higher flowing injectors do it in a shorter amount of time. small injectors at a high fuel rate take longer to inject all the fuel, so some of the fuel is too late to burn 100% efficiently. bigger injectors get it done quicker in a more efficient window.

Only if you have enough air to support the combustion

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldnt the biggest factor be the high compression which limits the boost you can safely run. Ive never seen a high powered N/A diesel.

Cylinder pressure is just that, either made with CR or boost, doesnt matter a whole lot but doing it some ways is more efficient than others.