Consuming lots of oil

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
So maybe this has no relevance but what oil are you using?

Yeah, not as much asking to see what oil but rather if something different was used in the truck when it was last changed since he mentioned it was freshly changed. If something different was used I was just thinking maybe the engine was able to burn it as fuel more easily then the previous viscosity or brand of oil. Long shot idea, I know.

That's not a crazy idea, I read on here a while back someone had real bad oil consumption in his truck when he switched to Rotella, he switched back to Delo and it went away. :dunno

Many have found Rotella is a high consumption oil. I too tried it once and it burned off quickly. Never used it again. I feel 450 lbs is a better idea of compression. My engine shows 530 lbs across all 8 cylinders. If you do a compression test please remove ALL the glow plugs. That way you put less strain on the batteries and the starter. 5 compression cranks is about it too. you probably wont see much more compression cranking it longer. Might want to add a battery charger to it when testing to keep the batteries up to full so all the 8 cylinders see the same cranking speeds.
Your turbo seems to need rebuilding in my opinnion because you posted you see very little blow by when the oil fill cover is removed.

Yup, it's Rotella. I've added a gallon of Napa 15-40 and it stayed perfect on the drive home. I'm changing the oil this week, so it's good to know that I'll never buy Rotella again. Holy cow. I'll have to report back when I switch back to my normal oil (Napa). Rotella was on a big sale.

Gary, thanks for the tips on compression testing. I've done gassers but not diesels before. Also, I thought high blow by was bad. Could you enlighten me on this please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 4x4 will use rotella. Lots od it, delo, mobil, walmart, it doesnt consume any. The dually doesnt care what I use , it drops halfway down the crosshatch and just stays there

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That being said, I use Rotella 15w40 and my truck will always burn off one quart from full no matter what I do, but then will sit at one quart down until the next oil change. For some reason that just seems to be where it likes to run, so I've let it have it's wish because I can add a quart a couple of times per oil change back to full and it will just eat it by weeks end.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're still looking for a compression tester, these worked for me. tooldiscounter was where I ordered them. I did have a problem with the gauge itself being bad on the tester but they did sort me out.
1 | STATU-15-1A | DIESEL ADAPTER | $5.98| $5.98
1 | STATU-15PB | Diesel compression tester | $34.51| $34.51

If you forget to release the pressure before removing the tester after each cylinder, you will blow the o-ring off the end. It will make you sad.