Considering replacing my E4OD with a ZF5

nicksorenson

Reaction score
Ok... Forget the 6 speed. I think I'll just be normal in my expectations and use a ZF5 if I do the swap. I really don't think I can fix my E4OD. I don't know what to test or look for. I think it may be an electronic problem but most of the parts have been replaced. All that's left is wiring. I haven't a clue where to start with that. Seems the easier thing is to get rid of all of that.

I could be wrong.

If I use a ZF5 what are my wiring issues?

I'd assume I'd have to make the truck think the old shifter is in Park when the Clutch pedal is pushed so I can start the engine. Somehow that wiring has to be connected as such.
I'd also have to make it so when the clutch is pushed the cruise turns off.

Is there anything I'm missing. Any thread with instructions?

Thanks!!
Nick

aaklingler

Reaction score
I have heard that there are 2 wires in the on the drivers side that need to be connected so it thinks its in neutral or park but I couldn't tell you witch ones, it gonna take a lot more work to get it to start only with the clutch pedal pushed in, I wasn't gonna worry about that. I don't know if the clutch pedal turns off the cruise on a factory 5spd, I also push the brake before the clutch or I push the button.

93 f350cc 7.3 na

Reaction score
Im with Nick on the idea of E4OD to ZF5 as well. The other question I had concerned the flywheel and clutch disc. What is the difference between the dual mass and solid mass flywheels other than the price. Will a solid mass work on a turbo truck? (Or one that will be getting one in the furture) What is the difference in Ford offering both 11inch and 12inch clutch discs? (One for the turbo and the other not?) They also had different size slaves in 93 one was quote "Older design and other was New design". How would you tell the difference except measure the input shaft on the exact trans you got? (S5-42 wide, S5-42 close, or S5-47 close)
If anyone who has performed this opperation before would lend insight on anything that would be of note please do.
Thanks Aaron

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the E4OD, but if it is like the C-6, there are 5 wires you will need to move. 2 of the 5 are for the park/neutral sensor, which is a DPDT switch. Another 2 of the 5 are for the starter interlock. Basically, those 4 wires just get cut, and attached to each other in pairs. In other words, the two that are for Park/Nuetral get hooked together, and the two that are for the starter get hooked together. You will now be able to start in gear, so be carefull. The 5th wire is the backup light, which you will move to the reverse gear switch on the ZF. It works by being grounded, so there will be voltage at this wire with the key on.

nicksorenson

Reaction score
Cool, doesn't sound too hard. I just have to find those wires. That'll be the hard part. Once I do find them. I'd guess it's not too hard to get the starter wires in the harness connected somehow to the clutch so I can't start until the clutch is in. That'll protect the cars in front of me when I start the truck in gear someday! :)

7.3shrk

It might protect the cars in front of you, but what about if your truck stalls, and the only way to get it to the side of the road is with the starter? (had it happen). What will protet you from the idiot behind you with their head up their butt? If might be better and easier to bypass it and just be conscious when you go to start it.

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
the wiring for the clutch switch was already there when I swapped, I just plugged it in to the switch on the pedal assembly.

nicksorenson

Reaction score
Well, we'll see. I'm going to give it one last go with cleaning the wire harness contacts and making sure all that I can is right electrically. After that if that doesn't fix it, I don't know what I'd do with the E4OD. I'd probably try craigslist and if that doesn't work, I don't know.

I'm hoping with OldMisterBill's advice I can keep it alive for a few more years at least.

what are you going to do with that old e4od?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance