Confused

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I finally got my tank mounted in my bed and fuel lines hooked up. I thought I would try to start bleeding the air out of my lines on the motor. So I switched on the electric pump and started bleeding the air out of the filter housing and moved on to the injector lines. Well here is my problem. I got fuel to the IP but cannot get any fuel out of the IP or lines by the injectors? I've tried cranking it over and over, I loosened all the injector lines and can not get fuel out of any of them. Is my IP gelled up inside somewhere? I even took the fuel filter off and put a new one on and filled it up with power service. I have fuel coming back through the return line to the tank. (a steady flow too) Can I take a heat gun and heat the IP up? Its about 20 degrees today and was in the single digits last few nights. It has sat for about a month. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh forgot to say I do have power to everything on the ip but can't hear if it is clicking. No one to help me today and its windy outside.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I would make sure the fss is getting power and if that checks out ok my only other guess is the ip is screwed but i cannot say that for sure. check the fss(the plug on top of the ip) has got power with a voltmeter

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ran fine before I pulled my gas tanks for leaking. Its just sat for about a month with no fuel in the lines from the electric pump to the filter. I have power to the fss and its clicking when i pull the wire off and put it back on. I'm just thinking the IP itself is gelled up. I hope thats all that is wrong?

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the key on,Take the wire off the FSS and just touch it to the terminal on the IP, you should see a spark. If you do, keep touching the wire to the terminal until you here it clicking. I've had to exercise the FSS before to get it moving and not sticking.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did that just before I came in for the night. Its getting cold out so I'm done for the day. I can hear it clicking when I pull the wire off and putting it back on. I'm just baffled. I've never had this much trouble priming this truck. Its always went easy since I have had the electric pump.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you have fuel coming out the line going into the IP but not the return port on the top? Am I understanding this right? And the truck wont start with everything hooked up? Thats wierd.
Its possible something is gelled or frozen in the IP, you can try a heat gun to warm it up but I dont think it will get warm enough since its so cold out.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a heat gun from my buddy tonight. I'm going to try to heat the IP up tomorrow. Yea its hard to heat it up when its only in the teens all day.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
another (pita) thoought is to pull the IP and lines, and take them in where its warm for a while...keep track of what runs out of it (newspaper in a pan maybe) as it warms up...then you at least will have some idea of what you are starting with

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright I have fuel to the ip and coming out of the return line on top of the ip. But I still can't get fuel to come out for the injectors. ???? I took the top 4 injector lines off of the ip. Not even a drop will come out? Anyone had this problem before? The fss switch is clicking and I unplugged and plugged it back in just to excersice it.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure but I think I remember something about the FSS going bad but still clicking. I think I'd check to see if the IP is turning, I know you said it was running fine before but it sounds like either your FSS isnt turning the pump on or the shaft is broken.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You need to hold the pump at wide open throttle position. At idle you will not see any fuel flowing from the lines at the injectors. WOT is best used for purging air from the system also. It allows more fuel to push thru the system...

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I no luck today either, batteries keep dying and still no fuel at injector lines. I have a spare ip on the shelf but would like to know whats wrong first. Can I take the cover off of the top of ip. Wasn't sure whats under that cover? Thanks anyway guys, I'm done for the night and I'm going to leave the block heater plugged in all night to keep it somewhat warm for the morning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828