collector pipe

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an issue with an exhaust leak, it is the collector pipe, the one that the manifold , pass bank, bolts too on one side, and the crossover pipe bolts too on a second side, then it shoots right up into the turbo.

I have replaced the manifold bolts, re torqued and aligned the assembly eleventy gazillion times.. and I still that paper rustling sounding fft fft fft from the passenger side.

My thought now is to take a piece of 3" pipe, solid chunk, bend it up and around, so both exhaust manifolds connect to it via a piece of quarter plate for a flange, and then tee into it off the turbo.

I should be able to get the "positioning flex" I need from the turbo fitting area, and ti will all snug together.

How functional would that be?

Or is it like a million and one other ideas I get that have no functional merit?

(what I do gives the mind HOURS in a day to free float)

None of the boneyards have an IDI turbo truck, which leads me to Main question,

sub part A, does an OBS P-choke have the same/similar collector?

Sub part B, if so, can I use it?

Sub part C, how much fab will be required?

sootman73

Reaction score
all i can say is that nothing from a PSD turbo system will work. i believe i've asked about psd turbo stuff and nothing is the same.

i think the psd is a pulse type turbo system? an up pipe from each manifold straight to the turbo to take advantage of each exhaust pulse. like the hypermax system for the idi.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is kinda what I am thinking... splitting the two up pipes into one collector will be the engineering feat.