Code 62 continued, torque convertor shudder

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm starting a new thread because I've long since moved on from 23 FIPL.

Just finished a 70 mile freeway run, the first of its kind since I've had the truck. I noticed more than anything, torque convertor shudder when under any sort of load, between 40 and 70 mph. I may be noticing it more because the transmission is hotter, or just the simple fact that this is the most time I've spent in the truck at speed.

The more I get tuned in to how this truck behaves, I'm starting to notice shudder prior to the OD light flashing. I can almost predict it.

I've still been thinking about solenoids, waste of time? I appreciate your help.

Happy new year!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally would pour a can of Lucas tranny fix in it. That stuff has some friction modifiers in it that work well to keep the torque converter clutches from slipping.

I had a car we nicknamed "Lurch" for the same problem. It got so bad that it would throw a code because there was too much difference in the input rpm of the tranny and the output rpm. It would throw a code and not let it go in overdrive. A bottle of the Lucas stuff fixed it right up and it never did it again.

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For $13 a bottle and it's right up the road from where I am right now, I just might try it. My transmission is a mix of old and new parts, so maybe the old parts are complaining?

anotheridi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried a tube of that dr. Tranny shudder fix, it has remedied the problem for now, but I'm still replacing the converter when it arrives. I'll let you know if the code 62 comes back but the converter is going in on the 9th so I'm flushing it out of the system then.

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lingering concern of mine is my pump itself. I followed Transgo's tugger directions to a "T", installed a triple disc remanuactured converter, but after everything is back together I learn about this drain back valve that could be melted and causing all sorts of problems.

I managed to fix my original concern in the overdrive assembly that wouldn't let the truck go unless OD was switched off. However, the OD light flashing is the same as the first time I drove it home. I have to think about what hasn't changed since the rebuild, which is the solenoid pack, tach sensor, and whatever transgo didn't tell me to modify or change in the pump.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
The solenoid pack should be replaced when the tranny is rebuilt. It could be contaminated with junk from the failed trans.

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea. It was what I was thinking of doing anyway before I got sidetracked.

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No solenoid pack yet, but wanted to run something by the forum first. No pictures, so I'll try and keep the confusion down to a minimum.

During my build, I noticed the back half of the splines on the front pump stator have either been filed down, or are stripped. When I had everything apart, I measured the distance between the face of the pump gears and the stripped portion. Compared with where it lands in the convertor, there's nothing engaging at that area, at least with the parts on the bench.

I haven't found any documented cases of E4ODs stripping out splines on the pump stator, so I assumed it was a modification by someone, dismissed it as an issue, and continued with my build. At the time, I was unaware of the pump bushing needing to line up in any certain way, so naturally, that didn't get checked either. Not to mention it is an E9 pump.

I'm wondering if the splined plate inside the convertor rides up and down the stator, and if so, if this is where the problems begin? I've been more suspicious of my front pump than I have the solenoid pack, but it is old and I may end up changing it out anyway.

I appreciate your help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online