CLUTCH SLIPPING IN 4TH

BUbbas94F350

Reaction score
I am worried...5 years ago I had my clutch replaced?? I havent put but 8K miles on my truck since then..I was pulling my trailer and my engine started over reving once i hit 4th gear. I down shifted,turned around and babied the truck home..Now my questions are..

1.My valve cover gaskets were leaking oil but replaced in the last 3 years..Dripping oil have any affect?? like it does a starter
2.My Fuel return lines were leaking too also replaced in the last 3
years..dripping diesel fuel any affect???
3.Local Big truck repair facility did they really replace my clutch or
just "adjusted it" ?
4. Or could my clutch just need a little adjustment for the sweet spot?
5. Also..seems to be related since the day the clutch slipped.. as i start slowing down to ..lets say make a turn ..I dont take it out of gear just depress the clutch the truck stalls..but if i depress the clutch and take out of gear it stays running???:shoot::rotflmao

MR.T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am worried...5 years ago I had my clutch replaced?? I havent put but 8K miles on my truck since then..I was pulling my trailer and my engine started over reving once i hit 4th gear. I down shifted,turned around and babied the truck home..Now my questions are..

1.My valve cover gaskets were leaking oil but replaced in the last 3 years..Dripping oil have any affect?? like it does a starter
2.My Fuel return lines were leaking too also replaced in the last 3
years..dripping diesel fuel any affect???
3.Local Big truck repair facility did they really replace my clutch or
just "adjusted it" ?
4. Or could my clutch just need a little adjustment for the sweet spot?
5. Also..seems to be related since the day the clutch slipped.. as i start slowing down to ..lets say make a turn ..I dont take it out of gear just depress the clutch the truck stalls..but if i depress the clutch and take out of gear it stays running???:shoot::rotflmao

There's a vent opening on the top of the bell housing for the ZF. I don't think it easy for oil/fuel to find it's way to the clutch disc and contaminate it, but it's possible. Here's a previous post with a pic of a rubber hood vent I made.

You could crawl under and push on the clutch fork into the slave cylinder to make sure it moves and isn't stuck holding the fork at partial disengagement. There's a travel test where you have someone depress the clutch and measure the travel at the slave cylinder -- can't remember the travel amount, someone else will.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
How many miles does your truck have on it and does it still have the dual mass flywheel in it?
If it's oil contamination, you can have someone depress the pedal while you spray brake parts cleaner upo in there on the disc and clean it off, but if the leaks were fixed months ago any residual oil would have burned off a long time ago

BUbbas94F350

Reaction score
How many miles does your truck have on it and does it still have the dual mass flywheel in it?
If it's oil contamination, you can have someone depress the pedal while you spray brake parts cleaner upo in there on the disc and clean it off, but if the leaks were fixed months ago any residual oil would have burned off a long time ago
did they replace all the bearings or just the clutch?

let me grab the recipt..ok replaced 11-02-05 @281650 now i am at 297k so not much use the last 5 years..it says "complete clutch kit-s" dont know if their part # relates but it says k70100-02?? R&R is that remove and replace? $350 for parts $374 labor

BUbbas94F350

Reaction score
You could crawl under and push on the clutch fork into the slave cylinder to make sure it moves and isn't stuck holding the fork at partial disengagement. There's a travel test where you have someone depress the clutch and measure the travel at the slave cylinder -- can't remember the travel amount, someone else will.

so what i really need to do is create some measurements after finding out some really good info. also spray some degreaser for an added benefit??

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
let me grab the recipt..ok replaced 11-02-05 @281650 now i am at 297k so not much use the last 5 years..it says "complete clutch kit-s" dont know if their part # relates but it says k70100-02?? R&R is that remove and replace? $350 for parts $374 labor

That part number comes up as a napa DMFclutch kit, but napa charges $219 for it so they marked it up nicely :rolleyes: but no flywheel was changed so with those few a miles on the clutch and that many on th eflywheel, if the clutch isn't currently soaked with oil, i'd have to say your dual mass flywheel is toast and slipping internally. That's how mine acted when the internal protection section gave out.once it's been slipped it's toast.

rjglenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similair problem and it turned out that the throwout bearing was binding on the pilot shaft of the transmission. I went out and dumped the clutch several times and it worked fine thereafter. I did end up getting rid of the dual mass flywheel, but that was an unrelated overloading event.

BUbbas94F350

Reaction score
i'd have to say your dual mass flywheel is toast and slipping internally. That's how mine acted when the internal protection section gave out.once it's been slipped it's toast.

I had a similair problem and it turned out that the throwout bearing was binding on the pilot shaft of the transmission. I went out and dumped the clutch several times and it worked fine thereafter. I did end up getting rid of the dual mass flywheel, but that was an unrelated overloading event.

Thankyou very much for the insight. It also sounds from the posts above that they couldnt have "shafted" me because the Hyd. clutch is not adjustable. So just a problem further down or up the line. Short of them over charging me a bit..I guess i can go back, for them to do more work? Knowledge is power !everyone hates getting "screwed" even more so when you know they are doing it !!

Thanks again
Bubba-

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That part number comes up as a napa DMFclutch kit, but napa charges $219 for it so they marked it up nicely :rolleyes: but no flywheel was changed so with those few a miles on the clutch and that many on th eflywheel, if the clutch isn't currently soaked with oil, i'd have to say your dual mass flywheel is toast and slipping internally. That's how mine acted when the internal protection section gave out.once it's been slipped it's toast.

prices for parts are like the stock market, they go up and down. and if its 219.00 today what was it 5 years ago? businesses mark up parts yes, but think about it, that mark up pays for desposing of trash (the box it came in), and for the phone call that it takes to get the part. i know there have been times i have been on a phone for almost an hour to find a part, then call customer and tell them whats wrong, how much it is and then have to call the parts store back and say we need it. that is if the customer answers the phone right then, but then again, none of this is helping your clutch. just trying to give some insight of why places have markup on parts, it helps pay for the dead time of not working on the vehicle and help pays the bills during the dead time.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you know if they resurfaced the flywheel before installing the new clutch? The flywheel really should be resurfaced any time a new clutch is installed. It gets rid of any high or low spots that can cause loss in the contact area between the fly wheel and the new clutch. Did they put in a new pilot bearing on the flywheel too? Like the others had said, oil, fuel on the clutch material will certainly affect it ability to hold. Be sure it is clean of these contaminates.

Heath

BUbbas94F350

Reaction score
Do you know if they resurfaced the flywheel before installing the new clutch? The flywheel really should be resurfaced any time a new clutch is installed. It gets rid of any high or low spots that can cause loss in the contact area between the fly wheel and the new clutch. Heath
I dont think I would be so lucky

LikDid they put in a new pilot bearing on the flywheel too?

Heath

I personally belive that i just recieved a new clutch kit..but no telling?

Like the others had said, oil, fuel on the clutch material will certainly affect it ability to hold. Be sure it is clean of these contaminates.

Heath

It will be my first step ..but as i have read in other threads that a DMF doesnt seem very popular, compared to a SMF but with 297K on the truck maybe the time has come for a new one??

Thanks Bubba-

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online