Clutch pedal set replacement tips or tricks?

Deezelcaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im about to replace my pedal set in my 92 crew cab. Picked up a new one at my dealer last week. I was checking it out and it seems pretty straight forward. I figured I'd put this up here for the experts to advise on any tips or tricks. Also do I need to disconnect the steering linkage or can they be weaseled past? Thanx in advance.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take the linkage loose under the dash and slide the shaft down to the floor. Also, once you get the bolts loose that hold the pedals and the brake booster to the firewall, you will have to pull the brake booster away from the firewall far enough for the actuator rod on the booster to clear out of the way. Not too bad of a job all together.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What helps a lot is taking the front seat out. It's not necessary, but gives you a lot more room and lets the steering column fall down farther for more room.

You also may have to take the cluster loose and pull it out enough to take the speedo cable off. I had to do it to mine, the speedo cable was running right up through one of the cavities in the pedal assembly, so no way it was coming out unless I could thread the cable through the hole.

Sw1tchfoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may be obvious to some, but the four brake booster to clutch pedal bolts probably won't want to seperate. Leave the four nuts on (just loosened most of the way) and the brake booster rod on the pedal and push the brake pedal hard to free the two.