clutch fan time...hayden?

blacksmoke94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard the stock fans are only good up to 35 mph I think and at that point, the flow from driving faster is overpowering what the fan can generate. I know Flex-a-lite has a dual fan set up that generates 4400 cfm and I've heard it's a great option. Haven't found any info on the IDI's but did see a dyno chart on a Duramax electric swap and it freed up 20 hp by dumping the fan clutch. Every little bit helps on these motors.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
20 horse wow.
yeah i read on these board sif your towing up hill with an IDI and the fan locks up..better drop another gear.
thats terrible!

perhaps electrics are the way. I got a 90 amp v belt alternator, im wondering about max power draw when running offroad lights and a winch and the fan on max for example, worst case situation.
I know the contour fans on the mustang draw 15 amps at full pull but peak at 35 when first turning on.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just refill the silicone fluid - $5 and about 5 min of work..... As long as there's nothing physically broken (and I'd bet 98% of the time there isn't) it should work. Now, it'll eventually leak out again, but I got a year out of mine.... Then just do it again. Way cheaper than a new clutch, and you get to keep the clutch you know works right instead of gambling on a new one....

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
His is he fir ime ive heard of this..can uou elaborate a bit more? Where do you get fluid from, how do you fill it?

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put up a thread about a year ago - $5 fan clutch repair is the title iirc.

Basically drill a small hole in the front, put in some silicone shock oil (rc cars - get from a hobby shop) and put a screw in the hole.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online