clutch fan time...hayden?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
`Im kicking myself for not buying the motorcraft one when icanfixall posted them for like 97 bucks few months ago. Need a new fan clutch.
rock auto has a hayden severse duty for 107.

Get that or get oem or?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You probably wont be happy with Hyden. Several have posted about the poor quality and ending up buying the OEm part. I recommend the Motorcraft fan clutch. Then modifying the flat spring.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hayden is very hit and miss. usually more miss than hit.the chinese ones at autozone are worse.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is the only clutch fan that fits the IDI Motorcraft YB-448? 200 on rockauto and very little on ebay-cheapest 150

then there is YB-3162 which is about 100$ on ebay states it fits the 7.3 idi

Are they different duty ratings? Looking for a heavy duty version.

Red coyote hunter

Reaction score
I am in need of a clutch fan too. From what I can tell the YB3162 is for a 1990-1992 IDI. I am not sure what changed since those years should still be V-belts. I also found the part number E9TZ-8A616-G along with the YB448 number in one listing, this looks to be for a 6.9/7.3 pre-1990

ryanecvbrown

Credo Quia Absurdum
Reaction score
I wasn't happy at all with a Hayden clutch. Friggin thing wouldn't come on unless I pulled a huge hill, loaded, temps up near 240 and even then I had to pull over, idle for 30 sec or so and THEN it could come on. I got a Horton through work and will never go back unless it's OEM. The Horton clutch was a bit pricey but worth it. I'll see if my boss still has the receipts tomorrow and post the part #.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a motorcraft clutch and fan from my old truck that's sitting in my attic that I would part with for $60 plus shipping. It's been stored standing up as I heard laying them down is a bad thing. I also have a fan shroud that was trimmed to make room for the fan with a 2" body lift that I would throw in.

Let me know either way, sold my old truck and this stuff is just collecting dust.

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wasn't happy at all with a Hayden clutch. Friggin thing wouldn't come on unless I pulled a huge hill, loaded, temps up near 240 and even then I had to pull over, idle for 30 sec or so and THEN it could come on. I got a Horton through work and will never go back unless it's OEM. The Horton clutch was a bit pricey but worth it. I'll see if my boss still has the receipts tomorrow and post the part #.

Which grade Hayden did you put on? They have three different lines IIRC in addition to duty rating and thermal vs speed. I have one waiting to go on my GMC. I'll let you guys know what I think of it.

ryanecvbrown

Credo Quia Absurdum
Reaction score
Which grade Hayden did you put on? They have three different lines IIRC in addition to duty rating and thermal vs speed. I have one waiting to go on my GMC. I'll let you guys know what I think of it.

I honestly don't remember, all I know is the parts guy said his computer told him it was the equivalent to OEM spec. OEM my a!! This goes both ways, with some guys getting a perfectly good Hayden right off the shelf with no issues. This would be the second vehicle in 10 years where a Hayden has let me down. Had one on my CJ too and the e-fans would come on before the manual clutch would engage. Fail me once, shame on you. Fail me twice....

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I installed a Hayden HD clutch 5 years ago and it's still working fine. It's outlived the radiator I put in at the same time. :rolleyes:

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what actual temperature oem clutchs were suppose to engage at? That is the temp. the air hitting the
clutch actually is?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ford never was very close to the engage temp on the clutches and thats really sad. They have been known to lock up as high as 240 degrees. Seems only the modified springs on the MS Tech fan clutch will lock up nearly every time right around 210 degrees. That has been my experiance with them. Its really easy to modify the springs ourselves too.

blacksmoke94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a Hayden severe duty in about 5 years ago. Has worked fine the entire time and the only overheating that happened was when the radiator got plugged and once it got changed out, no worries. I have to say my only complaint with the Hayden is that it seems to lock up too much. Gauge is on the far, low end and it kicks in. When it pukes, I'm going electric. Free up a little HP and extend the life of the water pump and also get rid of the obnoxious noise it makes when engaged. LOL

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i like electric but the dead nuts reliability of mechanical is nice. I will be putting an electrical one on just in case though. Hmm..maybe just go all electric..

anyone know what the stock fan with HD clutch moves CFM wise?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726