Clutch died yesterday

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After trimming all my trees yesterday and loading up all the cut branches, I headed for the wood recyclers. I haven't driven my truck much in the last month, and the last time I drove it I did notice what I thought was a throwout bearing getting noisy. Just a little more rattle than normal, although I have SMF so it's kind of hard to tell "what's a lot of noise".

Yesterday I was loaded pretty heavy and about a half mile from the dump, I felt a little slip and some additional noise. I did manage to get the load off my truck but I didn't make it another 50 feet. I've worn out a clutch before and it's been my experience that they usually slip quite a bit before they stop moving.

Last clutch I converted to the SMF and a kevlar clutch. I really liked the feel of the kevlar unit, however, I was hoping to get a lot more service life out of it. I'll wait for the inspection (I am guessing I've got a bunch of broken springs in the clutch disk) but in the mean time, anybody have any suggestions for a replacement clutch brand and vendor?

As always, thanks for the suggestions/advice

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A quick internet search gets me to a LUK 07131 part number for a SMF replacement clutch kit.

Anybody have any good or bad experience with the LUK clutches for ZF5s? I feel like I might be going backwards in technology versus the previous kevlar friction material, but I've had pretty good results with LUK stuff in the past in gassers.

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Meh, my LUK setup has less than 1 mile on it (yes, just finished bolting the t-case on not too long ago) but it feels perfect.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering: are you running a single or dual mass flywheel, and if you are running a single can you confirm the part number for the kit you purchsed.

Thanks

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Almost no slippage, pedal felt funny, I am guessing there's some broken stuff not worn out friction material but I should have a diagnosis today or tomorrow.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI, finally got a look at my destruction. The clutch lining was perfect, however, the center hub of the clutch was broken all the way around. I guess this is something to think about when buying a reman clutch versus new, as you never know how hard the previous owner treated the clutch. My n/a engine doesn't make enough power to really hurt anything IMHO, but virtually any metal can fatigue and crack.

Sounds like I'm gonna end up with a Valeo replacement kit.