Clutch Alignment Tool

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't for the life of me find the plastic one that came with my kit. I'm swapping out my Sachs clutch for a Luk kit next week, and need a tool. Anyone have an extra they're willing to part with?

Ryan

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About to do the same job, whats wrong with the sachs? If i beat you on install you can have mine :dunno

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
I cant find my box FULL of alignment tools but I have one I used on my zf5 handy. The input was not big enough so I wrapped electrical tape around it till it matched up. Worked fine. I can send it if needed

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

whalebus

Reaction score
If there is a harbor freight near you they have a universal one for $15 or so that works fine

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have stacked different size sockets into each other to make a make shift line up tool. Or sockets wrapped in electrical tape. Its kinda crude but when its all you have around work with what you have.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About to do the same job, whats wrong with the sachs? If i beat you on install you can have mine :dunno

I'm still fighting horrible rattle noise issues that started when I installed the clutch. You might have seen my other threads, but I had a off-center flywheel, swapped that, no change. I installed a reman trans because that off center flywheel took out my input bearing and 2nd gear synchros. No change in noise. Since it all started the minute I installed the clutch, I'm trying a different clutch in an effort to pinpoint the noise. I've thrown enough money at it, I'm bound and determined to fix it! I was fortunate enough that another member gave me a LUK kit with less than 1000 miles on it, so I'm gonna try that and see what I get. The truck was fine, and SILENT with the DMF setup. Like I said, it all started the minute I put in the SMF Sachs kit.

I called South Bend as suggested by Peter in his post, and he graciously sent me out an alignment tool for free! They get my business from now on just for that! I'm pretty disgusted by the whole clutch mess I've gotten myself into, and just want my old truck back to normal. Right now it makes so much noise its embarrassing to drive!

Ryan

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Never give up. Fighting this till the end will give you a great feeling of.. "I beat you big time" when you finally find the problem. Know this.. Many are watching and helping just by wishing you final success... That moment will taste fine too.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Off center flywheel? Thats a new one to me. I'll have to keep an eye out for that. Did you resurface the flywheel or buy a new one?
Good luck. Nice to see South Bend helping you out.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Yes, South Bend was awesome for that. They will be my first look when need a clutch.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Off center flywheel? Thats a new one to me. I'll have to keep an eye out for that. Did you resurface the flywheel or buy a new one?
Good luck. Nice to see South Bend helping you out.

The truck drive into the bay for me to swap the clutch, with no rollover noise or gear clatter at all. The second I started it with the SMF I had horrible gear clatter. Way worse than any other SMF equipped truck I'd ever heard. I should have stopped there and gotten a different kit immediately, but I had to get on the road home.

The first flywheel I got was not balanced at all and the holes for the pressure plate were not drilled so that the pressure plate was centered. This caused a bad vibration that was apparent at any engine or vehicle speed. I got that flywheel warrantied when I got home and put in one that was obviously balanced (it had machining marks on the back and drill spots in the rear lip where it was drilled to remove material to balance it whereas the first didn't have any of those marks) and the pressure plate was centered.

The noise was absolutely unchanged, and the vibrations caused damage to the input shaft of my trans, and finished off what was left of my 2nd gear synchros. I Put in a new reman trans, hoping to cure the gear clatter along with the synchro and input shaft issues. Unfortunately the noise was again unchanged.

At this point it's gotta be the clutch. I'd like to go back to a DMF, but like an idiot I left my old DMF in Albuquerque and it got scrapped. I was going to source another DMF kit! but this LUK kit fell in my lap, and I saw/heard the truck it came out of, so I know it's quiet. We'll find out soon enough....

Ryan

south bend clutch

Reaction score
Some of the clutch companies use a disc design that does not have what is called a free travel spring assembly in the clutch disc. The result will be excessive idol noise commonly known as gear rollover. This sound can also be exaggerated if there are any injectors not firing properly. The DMF can cover up the bad injectors but will eventually destroy it. The LUK system you are going to put in has the proper free travel dampening in the disc so you should be Ok there. Good luck.

Peter

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Peter. I appreciate your input. I'm scheduled to fix all this next week I think. We'll see if I can carve out the time in my schedule to get to the shop and work on it.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Hey south bend Well I think you should get a thread going her and educate us on all clutch replacement possibilities and issues and maybe they will put it in the tech section. IE duel mass vs single mass, ceramic vs organic, duel disc, ect.

Some of the clutch companies use a disc design that does not have what is called a free travel spring assembly in the clutch disc. The result will be excessive idol noise commonly known as gear rollover. This sound can also be exaggerated if there are any injectors not firing properly. The DMF can cover up the bad injectors but will eventually destroy it. The LUK system you are going to put in has the proper free travel dampening in the disc so you should be Ok there. Good luck.

Peter

south bend clutch

Reaction score
I will contact the site and become a supporting vendor so I can do that. As for now I have to be careful what I say. :D

Peter

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online