clunk

gatorman21218

Reaction score
So once again I am putting my other projects on hold to fix my front end. When driving around on a bumpy muddy field my truck makes a clunking sound from the front. What could this be? I just jacket up the front end and the ball joints seem tight and nothing seems out of place. My shocks look like they could be original they are quite rusty. It doesnt seem to matter whether my hubs are locked and or its in 4wd.

Also it may or may not be related but on a moderate to hard right hand curve at say more than 25 mph, I hear a "SHEE SHEE SHEE SHEE SHEE" coming from the drivers side front.

bigblue85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know it sounds dumb but check the cab mounts and radiator mounts some times they rot out. mine did and made a horrible clunk every bump and turn. if not that i would check to see if u joints are good on the axles.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
also look at the axle mount bushings.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
ok let me clarify that I checked the tires for any looseness by holding the top and bottom and checking for play. there is none.

romulus

Reaction score
i have exactly the same issue.

i just replaced all 4 ball joints, all 4 rod ends, and steering box...... checked, re-packed and re-torqued my spindle bearings and i still have the same clunk as you describe. my front u-joints are nearly new.

so this weekend i'm replacing both pivot bushings and bolts, and all 6 leaf spring and shackle bushings with energy supsension parts. also going to take the tailshaft housing off of my t-case and replace the bushing and oil seal, have a vibration at 55 mph-cuss.

by the way, the price ford charges for those bolts ought to be a crime, both bolts and nuts (they look special too) cost me about 50 bucks out the door. even the parts counter guy was embarrassed. they are a M14 x 2 flange head, didn't measure the length yet, (approx 75mm long) with a 10.9 on the head, so you should be able to source them elsewhere. the nuts are a swaged lock type, maybe get them elsewhere too.

if that doesn't fix my clunk i guess it could only be the cab mounts....i checked them and put a wrench on them, they are tight. maybe the rubbers are wasted, hard to tell for sure.

hopefully by the end of this weekend i can provide some info on this, as my front end will be COMPLETELY overhauled, everything that moves or pivots has been replaced, should drive like a sports car.

i just had and alignment done too. do you guys think i'll need to do it again after i replace the shackle and pivot bushings?

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Ok the clunk seems to happen when the right tire hits a hole, although its not always the case. And I can almost feel the floor board popping when it happens.

Some of my cab mounts look real scary with rust and all. Ill have to get some pictures but I am hesistant to even fool with them because they look real bad.

So how do I check the pivot bushing? Do I have to take out the axle to get to them or are they pretty simple to change?