clogging fuel filters? 89 f350 7.3

drive for free

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my last fuel filter i got about 2100 miles out of when running on umo. the one before that i got about 3000 miles out of. when i switch tanks back to diesel my truck runs fine im not too upset about it because now i know my fuel filters are working. i pre filter all my oil/ to 1micron. just wondering if anyone is experiencing the same prob? my old 91 f250 i never had to change filters. maybe the wix filters im currently using are really good at filtering my fuel? maybe its this colder weather ?

Last edited:

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey drive for free how cold have the overnight temps been up there? What % of umo are you using? I think WIX filters are some of the better filters around. Have you ever cut open a used filter? I've thought about it just been to busy to do that.

I'm new to the site, been reading alot about wvo/wmo etc for the last few years. Lately(this summer) been using a little wmo filtered through 5 mic filter & water filter, only at a 5-10% rate never had any filter problems. I haven't had the guts to try it during the winter.

My next step is a heated alum. tank, start up on regular diesel and then switch over to the wmo tank, heated line, heat exchanger all that stuff. When I shut it off back to diesel. Originally I wanted to go with wvo but I think wmo might be better in cold weather and supply of product a litte easier to find.

drive for free

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i always start and stop on regular diesel. i think my last tankfull of wmo was pretty thick. im not too sure how cold its getting at night prob around 38deg. personally i think you guys are getting a little carried away with how extravagent your setups are. with heaters and stuff. if all i have to do is change a $40 filter every 200o miles , then whatever. i have really good sources for free diesel and really clean used oil from cummins generators. im going to start thinning my oil to 80% oil 20% diesel. in the summer im defenetly running 95% oil almost 100% .

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This project with wvo & wmo has really become more of a hobby for me, since I don't do many other hobbies.
When you switch over how much time do you figure it takes to run regular diesel back through the system?
Thats one thing I know is important.
Thanks for the info.

drive for free

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i usually switch about 3 miles before i shut her down, if i know im not gonna re-start untill she's cold. that way i figure the system is pretty well flushed. my truck starts easily if its not completely cooled down. maybe keep a gallon of clean diesel in the back incase you have to put sum down the throat; untill you get use to it.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
maybe keep a gallon of clean diesel in the back incase you have to put sum down the throat; untill you get use to it.

Down the throat of what? NEVER!!!!!!!! dump any fuel into the intake of a diesel. More that likely you WILL hydrolock the engine, and that can be anywhere from a minor annoyance to rebuilding when you bend a rod or a wrist pin. Or it could go the otherway and go into a runaway, and stop, if you are lucky when it runs out of the fuel you have supplied, or it blows up.....

Maybe to dump what is in the fuel filter and refill with clean fuel.... ok.....

Black dawg

Reaction score
I have burned 50k miles worth of wmo, anywhere from 50-100%, filtered to 2 micron. I have the same 2 micron on the truck and have never had it plug. I replace it once a year. if you are plugging up the stock 12 micron filter something is wrong.

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
Probably not filtering your oil as good as you think before putting it in your truck. I was suprised at the difference between the supposed 2 micron Permacool filter I was using and the Baldwin BF7587 I am using now. Filter bags are not a good way to filter WMO.