Clear in-line trans filter hose?

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
Is it ok to use this clear tubing for my in-line trans filter? I didnt have the right size fuel line so i used this stuff that i bought not to long ago.:dunno

Attachments

• noname.jpg
    noname.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 26

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as it's solvent resistant I'd say you'll be ok.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
errr. what's the temp rating on that stuff?, pressure rating?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Without knowing if it will hold up to the trans fluid and heat I would change it soon. This is no place for not knowing what you have. If this is before the cooler it can be as hot as 200 degrees.

DragRag

Reaction score
Might be tygon tubing, it is used a lot in the a/c business. We use it for condensate pumps mainly. I tried it on a water line feed to an ice machine, and it bulged pretty quick. It is not rated for high pressure, and especially not with hi temps. As it get warmer, it will balloon more quickly then when cold. Anyway, keep a sharp eye on it, you are rolling the dice with it. I would not leave it on there to long, you may have a mess on your hands if you do.

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
well, like i said this is only temporary. I changed the atf and the filters today, and the rubber hose that was connecting to the magnefine filter was really nasty and i didnt want to reuse it, so i put that clear line on because it was all that i had that would fit until the local hardware store that sells fuel line opens tomorrow.

also, i cut the old filters open and the internal filter had a lot of shavings in it, i have no clue how old it is, could be original, the same with the magnefine filter, i have no clue how old it is and it had a lot of sludge like stuff on the magnet just like the magnet in the pan.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you go to a parts store you will find that the hose for tranny coolers is a whole lot stouter than the stuff for fuel.

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
I got the right stuff put on today, and it is some sturdy stuff, its transmission cooler line that i picked up from napa, its rated for 400psi. Now i can go drive my truck;Sweet

Today i learned to take my time and to think things out. Long story short, I was not thinking things out and thought i had installed the filter wrong:shocked: because i thought that i had reversed the flow of it on the wrong cooler line, but i hadnt, it took me a couple of tracing the cooler lines, removals, and re installations to figure it out..:bail

But even if i had reversed the flow i don't think it would have damaged the filter, because i took apart the old one and it seems that they put a bypass valve in it for the event that some dork like me may have accidentally reversed the flow of the filter.;p

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Any filter with a bypass valve usually is only there for flow... You see... Dirty oil flow is better than no oil flow.... Glad you fixed it correctly. Now run it and after about 4 or 5 thousand miles tighten up the clamps... They do loosen up after some heating and cooling cycles.

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
Any filter with a bypass valve usually is only there for flow... You see... Dirty oil flow is better than no oil flow.... Glad you fixed it correctly. Now run it and after about 4 or 5 thousand miles tighten up the clamps... They do loosen up after some heating and cooling cycles.

ok, will do;Sweet