Clear Fuel Bowl for your 6.9 or 7.3!

How often do you check for water in your fuel filter?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vn1500g3

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

My new to me 1993 F250 4 X 4 NA IDI. You can see whats left of my theft recovered F350 in the back ground. The F350 is a total loss.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Clear Fuel Bowl. It's a tight fit at the valve cover but it works great! The drain valve has to be clocked away from the valve cover or it interferes with the top of the valve cover.

Pressure gage mounted right at the filter head!

So here is the most recent shot of the filter with the clear bowl attached.

So what is the solution to the clear fuel bowl being too deep? Thread on the filter first and then thread on the water seperator?

That seems kind of silly and ******* your starter as well, all that cranking to get the filter filled up.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Could always just move the filter.

What do you mean by cranking to fill up the filter?
Easily solved with a electric pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again, not really a good solution. I know I know, there are pros to an electric pump, but I've got a mechanical that works just fine. There are a lot of little things that need to be done to make the clear bowl work. Just seems like a pain in the ass.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That may be my next move, though I liked the idea of having a clear bowl. Allows you to see crap settling out, or water in the bowl. But it seems that the pros are outweighed by the cons with this bowl.

It either requires moving the filter housing, which I do not have room for under the hood of my truck, due to wvo system, or the addition of an electric pump to fill up the filter once it is installed empty. This also takes away the option of filling the filter with atf if it is ever needed. Or removing the filter and filling with diesel 911 in a gel situation.

I guess the metal bowl is working just fine for now.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I didn't mean move the filter to BFE.
just raise it a bit.
Or move it over a few inches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what is the solution to the clear fuel bowl being too deep?

just grind off the bottom spout and it fully clears the valve cover.you just can't put a drain hose on it like you could if you didn't grind it off.but who cares if you drain off the water and just let it run down the valve cover i figured.
(id never dream of running an idi truck with an oem lift pump.e-pump conversion is just price of the purchase price when buying an idi truck imho.)

Wix 33417, eliminate the stupid bowl altogether.

just keep in mind that if you have fuel filter clogging issues road side due to contaminated fuel/gelling etc and you needed one to replace it.the first auto store you come to may only have the common one in stock.meaning without a bowl,you'd be SOL.if i ran one of those type of filters id carry a spare.

Last edited:

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just grind off the bottom spout ad it fully clears the valve cover.you just can't put a drain hose on it like you could if you didn't grind it off.but who cares if you drain off the water and just let it run down the valve cover i figured.

I did that, cut off the nipple and it still doesn't clear.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did that, cut off the nipple and it still doesn't clear.

hmmm.odd.i have just enough room to spare to be able to turn it open enough to easily drain still.though that can't be seen from the angle of this pic.
attachment.php

try removing the upper bracket and smacking the mount forward a bit......just remember the bracket needs to line up still to get your bolt back in.

oh.the filter brands may be ever so slightly different lengths too.hmmm.ok so that would suck road side if you found a slightly too deep of a filter for it to clear lmao.hmmm.
i guess it is too bad the thing wasn't more shallow.half the depth would be plenty really.

how close are the rockers under the cover? could we get away with denting our covers a 1/6" to 1/4" inch? .......probably just asking for trouble.

if your trying to install a filter full of fuel with this bowl on,i don't think that would work.you need to install the filter then the bowl.least i sure think so.i didn't try that of course.i don't see how it would drop low enough though.without an e-pump i don't think id try this bowl.

lmao.i keep adding to this.soon it'll be a book.:D
according to my records the fuel filter is a purolator f54692
i just grabbed 4 filters from u-haul on ebay (thanks to Russ's recent heads up thread on them) they're #INF829B hopefully they're no deeper.

Last edited:

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
just keep in mind that if you have fuel filter clogging issues road side due to contaminated fuel/gelling etc and you needed one to replace it.the first auto store you come to may only have the common one in stock.meaning without a bowl,you'd be SOL.if i ran one of those type of filters id carry a spare.

That's true and a good idea. And I do like the idea of the clear fuel bowl, but I like the idea of less potential for fuel leaks even better.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed my metal bowl was leaking today after I had put it back on last night in frustration of the clear bowl not fitting. I'm not sure if it wasn't tightened onto the filter good enough, or if I didn't oil the gasket well. So I dumped it, and took the bowl off. Threaded the filter on and then with the drain on the clear bowl threaded up so it was up as high as it could go, I threaded it on as well. I completely expected an awful cranking/purging session, but I literally jumped the solenoid, It fired up, and within a second or two, the clear bowl was full. The truck didnt miss a beat, ran plain as day. All the air purged out on its own just fine, and this is with a mechanical pump. I was impressed.

One thing that concerns me though. I worry about getting the clear bowl off when the time comes to change the filter. That is usually a task when I had the metal bowl, and am not sure how easy the bowl will unthread from the filter to get everything removed.