Cleaning the ductwork?

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Without pulling the entire dash? I'm planning on fixing my A/C, but the truck sat in a field for 4 years. The ductwork is full of mice nests, mouse turds, and walnut shells. Up until now, I've just refrained from using the HVAC, but now, it's been staying over 100 degrees, and will continue to do so until late august, so I need to get this solved. I don't have the time to pull the entire dash.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd remove the dash pieces around the instrumental cluster as they are easiest to pull, then I'd run a shopvac hose in each of the two vents and have a field day with it. Same with the vents on the floor. Passenger side vents, dunno about those. But actually I've been told the factory-A/C trucks are very easy to disassemble the HVAC plenums, tis done from the engine bay apparently, so that may be a good place to start at.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the 87-91 body style but with my 86 you can get at most of the ducting from pulling the fan/blower assy in the engine bay and the glove box in the cab, no need to tear up the dash at all. I definitely would want all that stuff cleaned out before I would use the AC.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also hose it down with a good germ killer, mice=hanta virus. Wear a dust mask minimum.
I go the car wash vac when I have to clean one, and I have been known to wash the inside of the truck with the pressure washer. MAybe not an option with cloth interior. Also the heater core comes out real easy behind the glovebox and will give very good access.

Here is what it looked like when done, if you can read the door you know why I steamed the WHOLE truck.

Attachments

• Image039.jpg
    Image039.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Image046.jpg
    Image046.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dang Russ! First time I've seen that! LOL And here all the while I've be rolling my windows up when it rains. LOL

Camarogenius

Reaction score
So, if I were to drop the heater core, and run water in through all the ducts, and do the same through the blower motor hole, that should work, right? If I remember keeructly, the ductwork is made in two peices, and stapled together. Should I pull the stereo just in case?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
So, if I were to drop the heater core, and run water in through all the ducts, and do the same through the blower motor hole, that should work, right? If I remember keeructly, the ductwork is made in two peices, and stapled together. Should I pull the stereo just in case?

Russ's truck was sitting for a long time, and I'm sure in that pic the interior was gutted.

It took me a long time to clean mine out with the same problem as you. I took out the blower motor from the engine compartment and used a shop vac as good as I could. I then went and opened up all the vents, put a cover over my seat, and then used the air compressor and blew it out like no tommorow. I put in a bunch of good smelling stuff, and sprayed anti-fungal and anti-bacterial stuff in there. Its doing good, but it was like a 6 month process of having their nest still come flying out at me, but it did smell nice when it did :D