Cleaning out fuel tank ?

rkpatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have removed the front and rear tanks of my 1994 F250 7.3 IDI for cleaning and sending unit replacement . I will use some degreasining cleaner like Purple Power and a pressure washer (or spray car wash) to clean them . If I see rust should I also then use muriatic acid and water solution (fill tank and less it sit for a couple of days to dissolve the rust ? ) . Any suggestions on tank cleaning procedures are appreciated. - Thanks

Last edited:

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EASTWOOD company has a good set of tank cleaning/treating products for cleaning, then coating, the insides and outsides of metal tanks.

After an initial soapy-water rinse-out, I would try to get the insides STEAMED OUT, if at all possible, as this will kill any formations of "algae" that are lurking within.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how about a weak bleach solution wouldn't that kill the "fuel tank vomit" organisms as well? I guess it could kill the fuel system if you left any in though.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Some larger radiator shops can soak those things overnight and they'll come out squeeky clean.

rkpatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is what they want around here too . Plus there is not a radiator shop nearby . New aftermarket metal tanks seems to be $85-100 shipped to my door. Plastic tanks ( www.mtscompany.com) are about $185 with shipping .

As my budget is limited and the fact that is truck isnot long term "keeper " , I am going to give cleaning them a try . Any recommendations for cleaning them ?

-Thanks

Yeah and its not cheap ($65) in my neck of the woods.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance