CL Find: 91 F250 LOW Miles 7.3L

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know some real numbers for the 6.7 economy?
FWIW the 6.7L in my company's fleet sees 9 to 10 mpg on a regular basis, but that's an F-550 with a bus body on it. The '07 6.0L with an identical setup gets similar fuel mileage; maybe slightly better.

I would HOPE mileage would be better in a pickup, but I can't say either way...

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
Way overpriced! I paid $3100+tax from a dealer for my 4x4 with only 59k on it.

It seems like in So Cal these things go cheap, I was just on Ebay looking and Texas is good to. 3100 is ridiculous. I do not understand these trucks start at 50 new today. Look at the Centurion on Ebay that sold for 4800 1994 F 350. I could not believe it and I saw a couple other deals in So Cal that sold for like cheap. Are they banning these things or something in Cal?

Right now is a good time to buy low mileage old trucks because when these things are gone they are gone. They will only go up in value with the price of new trucks today.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Do you know what these trucks went for brand new?

Somewhere I saw a link to look up exact prices of your model, options, etc. But I don't think I saved it.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Gpa's 6.7L '11 F250 4x4 Kingranch gets 16.5 AVERAGE, he lives in OKC and tows construction materials, horse trailers, and 36ft 3 slide out camper on vacation. Has 90K miles on it already. He said ~18 is normal highway with the horse trailer heading to the ranch.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After hearing all these numbers for the 6.7, all I can think is someday. I just gotta get through school first.

Sent from my TF300T using Tapatalk

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you know what these trucks went for brand new?
I have the original loan paperwork for my '84, from when my uncle's step-father purchased her new. I'm not home now, but I can post the number tomorrow after I get home. I want to say it was in the $10K to $12K range in 1983 dollars (the truck was purchased in '83 as an '84 model year), but I don't remember for sure...

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
IMHO being one that doesn't care to much if its 75k miles or 200k miles and living where we get decent snow in the winter (but little rust), more then $2500 for a 2wd IDI is highway robbery.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
IMHO being one that doesn't care to much if its 75k miles or 200k miles and living where we get decent snow in the winter (but little rust), more then $2500 for a 2wd IDI is highway robbery.
That is just not true, like the poster posted above 10 K for a 83, even 20 years ago these were max 35 to 40 probably for a fully loaded 350 dually cc, they have been rising at about probably around 6 to 7 % a year. They are lying about inflation #'s.

Some of these old trucks out there are in incredible condition and bring big bucks, if you want to see the best deal I have seen go on Ebay and pull up 1994 F 350 in completed listings and look at what sold on NOV 1st for 4800. Some old IDI's are worth way more than 2500. That is a 10 grand truck that somebody got for less than 1/2 price. You watch these trucks are going to be going up quick when people realize that when the 6.7 is out of warranty and every time something goes wrong it is 2 grand minimum to fix it.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Different parts of the country have different prices. Around here we all want 4x4 because of snow. Down south you seem to see a lot more 2x4. Do I think He's priced high? IDK. Find the right person and it will be gone. Once you price above book value there is a different set of rules. Your looking for the smaller group of people who appreciate what you have and are willing to pay for it. That is not most of the truck buying public.

Lets face it us guys playing around with these 80's and 90's pickups are starting to deal with "antique" collector vehicles. A 1983 truck is 30 years old. My 1993 truck is 20 years old. Certain parts are harder to find. I'm thinking mostly interior stuff. Most trucks being 3/4ton have been worked hard. Nice original straight vehicles with a clean interior are getting harder to find.

A new truck should be way better in all aspects. It's at least 20 YEARS newer and 5-6 times the cost!! It should be comfier, better mileage, more Horsepower, etc. I myself don't want the payments or repair bills from a newer truck. I can't justify that type of vehicle cost for a 3rd or 4th vehicle. I would trade a kidney for a new King Ranch F450 diesel dually 4x4 most days of the week though.

Smokininmo

Reaction score
8800 for a 2WD!! No way! I dont care if it has 7500 miles. Kbb puts it at the 6000-6500 mark. I know that can be relative but unless this is your dream truck with all of the options exactly how you want it there is no way its worth the money being asked. And as far as the newer truck not being as well built as the older ones.................Sorry I have both a 93 turbo and an 05 superduty and as much as I love my 93, saying that it is better made or it has more steel than the superduty is laughable at best. Now I will admit that the 6.0 is crap and VERY expensive to work on and the idi is VERY cheap to work on. But saying that you can pay 8800 for that truck and it would be better than a comparable 7.3 powerstroke superduty................nope.

Smokininmo

Reaction score
BTW I'm not saying there is no older truck that is good or there is no older truck worth 8800. If you where looking at a 4x4 cclb 7.3 idi with all the options in that condition then 10,000 would be a fair price imho. But an eclb 2x4? The only thing its got is a low milage diesel which is hard to find. Other than that its just a truck. And this is just my opinion lol which consequently is worth less than almost anything else on here.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same price I paid for mine in 1999! Same truck also, except mine came with a GV and a Banks Turbo.

rattleonby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd still take it over a newer truck though....anyday. I mean i guess i couldve afforded an 08' or 09' truck payment but the truck is still going to be 20-30 grand with decently low mileage on it. You also have to hope all the tsb's and updates are done on the 6.0's are done. Not to mention the boat anchor 6.4's cant keep a bottom end in em or a valvetrain for some reason. I've heard promising things from the 6.7 maybe with fingers crossed itll go 100k without grenadin' like its siblings. My truck is enormous but i get 18-20 on the highways and average 15. What more could ya want? Gassers still cant touch that! Plus you can afford to upkeep an idi in good running shape for barely anything. :)

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
8800 for a 2WD!! No way! I dont care if it has 7500 miles. Kbb puts it at the 6000-6500 mark. I know that can be relative but unless this is your dream truck with all of the options exactly how you want it there is no way its worth the money being asked. And as far as the newer truck not being as well built as the older ones.................Sorry I have both a 93 turbo and an 05 superduty and as much as I love my 93, saying that it is better made or it has more steel than the superduty is laughable at best. Now I will admit that the 6.0 is crap and VERY expensive to work on and the idi is VERY cheap to work on. But saying that you can pay 8800 for that truck and it would be better than a comparable 7.3 powerstroke superduty................nope.

Probably the smartest thing I've read in this thread :eek: :rotflmao

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the original loan paperwork for my '84, from when my uncle's step-father purchased her new. I'm not home now, but I can post the number tomorrow after I get home. I want to say it was in the $10K to $12K range in 1983 dollars (the truck was purchased in '83 as an '84 model year), but I don't remember for sure...
I was actually off low :shocked: my truck originally sold for $15,187 in October 1983. From the inflation calculator on this site: http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm that's $35,611 in 2013 dollars.

That's for an F-250 SuperCab 4x4 with every option available for the 1984 model year except an automatic transmission. BTW as a side-note, when I was growing up in the mid to late 1990's, I regularly did a website "build and price" on my dream truck at the time, which was a Dodge diesel :)sorry: I've been a 6BT Cummins fan ever since I knew that diesels were available in pickup trucks), and the MSRP was consistently about $30K. My truck, in 1999 dollars, would have sold for just over $25K...so, between 1983 and 1999, an essentially similar truck's price inflated about $5K. I just did a "build and price" for a 2014 F-250 that would essentially be identical to my '84 (XLT, and I chose any options that my truck has and didn't select any options my truck doesn't have), and the MSRP is $51,290. Using the same inflation calculator, that would have been $36,587 in 1999, and $21,873 in 1983. I wonder what that 2014 F-250 would sell for if a 6 speed manual transmission were an option?

FWIW...

I was actually trying to make an argument that truck prices had inflated far past what they should have, and frankly, based on this info, my argument's debunked. Considering how much even a base model's improved in terms of creature comforts, it's really not a bad buy based on the info I found and posted. At the same time, especially for a pickup truck, I like the idea of being able to wrench on it myself and I REALLY don't like automatic transmissions, so there's still an argument for the old iron ;Sweet it's really a matter of what your personal preferences are...