Chug Chug CHUG

turbo69

Innocent Bystander
Reaction score
Hey ladies and gents-

Been a while. Thought I'd pop in and say hey and see if you all can help me solve a little problem here.

My brother has a 90 model f350 dually with the 7.3 and E40D. The problem is a new noise that started about a month ago or so. When the truck is idling whether warm or cold, there is a loud chug chug chug chug chug noise that is constant from the exhaust pipe. I hear no extra noise from the intake, just the exhaust. Under the hood, with a stethescope (redneck translation: a pipe held to the ear :) ), I can hear an extra tick from the number two cylinder at the bottom of the head that I do not hear anywhere else. When I bust the nut loose at the top of the injector, the tick subsides, but the chug stays and the engine goes into the seven cylinder shake like it should. (Oh, I guess I should mention that there is a slight miss that coincides with the chug.) We went ahead and replaced the injector with a spare from the old Ghost with no improvement in either department. I am starting to think that the exhaust valve is sticking, bent, or something of that nature. What do yall think?

BigDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Prolly exh valve guides. My truck had the same problem, I had the heads rebuilt, and new exh valve guides put in, and she runs great. My truck had a chuff out the exh with a rough idle.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
yep I would vote exhaust valve guide - they are pretty common to fail. I would be looking into getting it fixed because if left alone the valve will come apart and then you will be doing much more than just a valve job. When mine dropped many years ago I put a window in the block and heard internal engine parts hit the pavement and felt them as they bounced up and hit floor board as they were escaping my rule....

turbo69

Innocent Bystander
Reaction score
Well, pulled the pass side valve cover and fired her up. Sure enough, we got exhaust coming out of the #2 exh valve guide. I can reach down and wiggle the valve and spring assy. Found a 7.3 complete and running for 200 bucks. Gonna pull the pass side head and replace this next weekend, cause the rest of the motor is strong. FUN, FUN, FUN!!!!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The number 2 cylinder is the front cylinder on the drivers side of the motor. Why are you pulling the passenger side head....:dunno

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, pulled the pass side valve cover and fired her up. Sure enough, we got exhaust coming out of the #2 exh valve guide. I can reach down and wiggle the valve and spring assy. Found a 7.3 complete and running for 200 bucks. Gonna pull the pass side head and replace this next weekend, cause the rest of the motor is strong. FUN, FUN, FUN!!!!

FYI: removing the HVAC box cover frees up tons of room so you can torque that head properly. Not sure if you can tell from this picture or not.
You must be registered for see images attach

It's only 6 screws, a nut up top, a bolt inside firewall near the floor, and a little metal clip, and of course the little vacuum line on the box.

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i don't know whether i'm being paranoid or something is actually wrong. will somebody plz listen. this is right next to the exhaust after is warmed up

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
Sounds alot like mine, I attribute it to my fried injectors. Does yours make a tick/slap noise right above idle that evens out about 200 RPM later too? Because I'm hoping it's just my injectors, can't even think about valves right now.

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i noticed a slight tick right above idle. i'm gonna buy some new injectors and see if makes it any better. does anybody know of any injectors that i can buy that would add a little power but not break the bank like some bb's:confused:

turbo69

Innocent Bystander
Reaction score
That is definately not a chug like we had. if you can imagine what an 18 wheeler sounds like letting off the air brakes into a pipe, but once every rev...thats what ours did.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i don't know whether i'm being paranoid or something is actually wrong. will somebody plz listen. this is right next to the exhaust after is warmed up

Sounds identical to mine. Also sounds a lot like the exhaust on the Orca in the movie "Jaws" LOL