Chasing Fuel Issues

Pull-n-TugTx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flipped the tank switch driving the other day from rear to front. Gauge shot over to F, cuz the tank was Full. Couple of days later, left it running came out and it died. Cranked on it and acted like no fuel. Hit the switch and and sure enough the back tank was empty. So it never pulled from the front tank. Got it towed home. Swapped out the the Fuel Tank Selector Valve today. I still can t get any fuel to the inlet side of the filter. I realize that I have to bleed all the air out, but Ive cranking on this thing for over an hour and I got no fuel moving to the filter.

Yes both tanks have fuel in them now.

I did replace the manual FP about 300 miles ago. Could the pump have crap the bed already? Am I missing something else? This thing is kicking my ass!!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take a jerry can and use it to feed the lift pump via chunk of tubing to the lift pump....then try n see if it's sucking or not! If so then you know what portion of problem is good to go!

Then it's on to other tests...start at pump first if you have any doubts!

Al

Pull-n-TugTx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulled the supply line off pump. Stuck on a new supply line and put it in a bucket of fuel. Took off the supply side to the filter head. Crank the truck and I get NO FUEL coming up the line directly from the pump.

Any and all HELP, is greatly needed and appreciated.

Thanks

Pull-n-TugTx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stuck in a temp Electric fuel pump and its ALIVE!! Now just waitng on the Carrier from GenLighting to make it permeant.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like mechanical pump is installed with the arm in wrong location on top of the cam instead of under it....this causes the symptoms you described and that's why I suggested fuel from can to lift pump...so you know your situation...remove pump and make sure its installed correctly.

JM2CW...

Pull-n-TugTx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did just that before I went electric. Un Botled the pump, pulled the battery cables. Held the pump in place and hand cranked the motor. To insure the cam lobe was right for the angle of the pump arm.

Not sure of the push on the arm, but when I re-installed the pump, on the bottom of the lobe. I then went Source side strait to a bucket of fuel. Did not get any fuel pulled into the pump, much less up to the filter. Pulled the pump again, cut a straw the length of the arm, at full mount. Never felt the straw move more than a 16th. Figure at 360k miles the lobe maybe a li'l shy.

Either way Electric is the pump for me.

Thanks for your help

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did just that before I went electric. Un Botled the pump, pulled the battery cables. Held the pump in place and hand cranked the motor. To insure the cam lobe was right for the angle of the pump arm.

Not sure of the push on the arm, but when I re-installed the pump, on the bottom of the lobe. I then went Source side strait to a bucket of fuel. Did not get any fuel pulled into the pump, much less up to the filter. Pulled the pump again, cut a straw the length of the arm, at full mount. Never felt the straw move more than a 16th. Figure at 360k miles the lobe maybe a li'l shy.

Either way Electric is the pump for me.

Thanks for your help
Ya sounds like that cam lobe could be a weeeeee bit worn...I'd say then that the electric is the answer,

Glad it turned out ok for you and thanks for the update.

Hey Riot,

Did you read my recent new thread? Think Im still having an issue with pulling from the front tank.

Nope I'll look see if I got an idea though....:rotflmao..
Al