charging system HELP HELP HELP

roamaround

Reaction score
I'm driving my new to me 93 diesel crew dually 5 speed 4x4. The volt meter is moving a bit back and forth and hen check engine light on. I pull over and turn her off,... I turn back on and engine light is now off. Other scenarios are when cruse controll is on suddenly it will go off and then volt meeter has gone wacky again, lights are flickering, AC cluch will no longer engage for a bit then come back on again in a bit. All happen at the same time volt meter is acting up. I have changed battery terminals to soldier on type, changed battery, changed alternator, looked for loose wires. nothing has gotten better.

My question is, is there a known problem with these years and the ecu ( computer )? Is there a fix all for this prob? As in the old Chrysler voltage regulator that looked like a chrome box about the size of a deck of cards? I had a 92 dodge that had this box in it in place of the stock computer and it did great. The volt meter never moved at all even when the turn signals were used.

Does any body know what I am talking about or know where to go from here?

9312v

Reaction score
yes, the computer has the regulator for the charging system in them and i've heard that they can take out the alternator and the crankshaft position sensor. i just bought a 93 and am planning on putting an external voltage regulator on the truck to fix this problem before it happens. You should be able ot search and find how to wire one on your truck. but they have this problem from 91.5-93.

-Jon