Changing my thermostat- have an issue or two

defecater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Previous owner told me that the truck never put out much heat in the winter, so i decided to change out the thermostat. After I pulled it apart, the first thing I noticed was a piece of some kind of copper/brass ring sitting in the cavity just below where the thermostat seats- the rest of the ring was wedged in the thermostat. Ring is slightly larger than the main body of the thermostat- where did it come from??

Also, the thermostat I got from the parts store (oReilleys) did not come with a gasket like was already on the engine, but instead has some kind of flimsy rubber ring surrounding the outer diameter. I stopped back at the store to inquire about a normal gasket, and they came up with a piece of gasket material that I am supposed to cut to shape myself, but the counter guy said that the thermostat with the sealing ring around it was all he has ever sold. I have no problem cutting my own gasket, as I normally cut most of my own anyway, but I am left a bit confused about this sealing ring- If there was at least some kind of a slight recess in the block or water neck housing, I would feel OK with using it, but I just cant see this thing compressing evenly or even holding itself centered where it is supposed to seat without a recess Should I try to use it, or just pitch it and cut my own gasket like I am thinking I should?? And then there is what appears to be some kind of small check ball in the water neck housing that comes out after I scraped off all of the old gasket. What is the significance of this check ball???

One last question- While all of this stuff is out of the way, would it be a good idea to change out the lift pump while it is easy to get to, or are they pretty much not an issue as far as longevity goes. Looks like a SBF fuel pump to me, although I bet it really isnt. Guess I should have asked while I was at the parts store earlier, but what does one typically cost??

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, well the first piece of advice i can give you is to go back to your parts store and return that thermostat. It is not the right one for the truck. These trucks have an internal bypass for the thermostat and anything you get at the normal parts store will not work right. Go to your ford/international dealer and get the right one for your truck. IT will have the gasket with it. Im not sure where the ring came from? maybe crappy thermostat fell apart or something.

Thats all i know about this. GL

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its just as posted above. The Ford thermostat is part number E5TZ-8575-C. It opens at 192 degrees. The international stat is the same exact stat. Buy from either plac but don't buy from any auto parts store.. They sell what fits but wont cool properly.

defecater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rodger that, I will leave extra early for work tomorrow so I can return the wrong t-stat, and hit the Ford dealer for the right one.

Any info on that check ball I mentioned??

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Rodger that, I will leave extra early for work tomorrow so I can return the wrong t-stat, and hit the Ford dealer for the right one.

Any info on that check ball I mentioned??
Sounds like when you scraped off the gasket, you also scraped off the recessed retainer that holds the check ball in the waterneck housing. I'm not sure how you would go about getting that ball to stay put after that. Maybe some creative jbweld sculpting :dunno Originally there was a little ring not much thicker than gasket material , just slightly smaller diameter than the ball, holding it in. Might have to replace the waterneck.

defecater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess I can replace the neck if necessary- got two other parts trucks, but I am failing to see the importance of this check ball.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If memory serve me ( don't count on it LOL that little critter lets trapped air in the system bleed off to the high point in the rad. It's the only way past the thermostat, but under pressure when running, it seals off the hole to prevent cold running. I believe they opted for that setup instead of putting a bleed port in the thermostat for better temperature control

discbrks

Reaction score
I left the check ball out of mine when I replaced the t-stat. The ring that held it in place fell apart. I still have the ball b/c all kinds of people said "you better put that ball back in there"... been running 3 years w/out it and no cooling problems at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online