Changed Oil & What A mess I made

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well I knew the hazards of the sooty oil but went in anyway. Damn filter fell sideways and dumped on both arms from elbows to rubber gloves. Actually only my palms and fingers are still clean. I got that **** everywhere. Much worse than ever before. Stupid soot. I'm going to install a bypass oil filter soon. I wont be doing this again hopefully. I sure need a lift so I can stand under my rig.. Wouldn't that be nice...

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't feel bad the last time in did that I got a face full.

Next time poke a hole in the bottom and drain it.

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 on nebraska. I take a sharp punch and make a hole about 1/4". Both engine and filter finish draining at about the same time.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have done bigger filters on 18 Wheelers. Poke a hole in the bottom and let it drain a few minutes then unscrew it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The bypass filter I plan to install is the Frantz but I want the newer ones with the adjustable clamp on them and the differant size internal filter mount. I plan myoil takeoff to be on the drivers side main oil galley . There are 2 ports behind the oil cooler. Gonna be tuff reaching them too but they are there. I will be using a stainless steel braided line for the pressure feed but jst a rubber line feeding back to the engine oil pan thru the now removed lift pump. I just need to drill and thread a simple 1/8 or 1/4 inch pipe thread in that block off plate. Sounds like a nice idea to mee but I like to pat myself on the back sometimes...:angel::D

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Sounds great, Gary. I have the Baldwin head & a B164. With all that soot, though, I'm thinking such a "small" filter would need frequent changes. The 164 worked great on my VW Bug (no filter from factory, unless you count the coarse screen!) ;Sweet

Saw in a thread return ports on the back of the head. Useful, since the head will have to live on the frame rail below my feet. E-series reality. LOL

youngunbd

Reaction score
I installed a Fumoto drain valve for the sump and I will begin punching the filter, I dumped mine last time and now that I have switched to the 1995, i DONT want to ever dump that one over!!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Our heads have an allen screw in both ends of them that is open to the oil drain back to the pan. Isn't that neet..

Reaction score
I installed a Fumoto drain valve for the sump and I will begin punching the filter, I dumped mine last time and now that I have switched to the 1995, i DONT want to ever dump that one over!!

Been there, done that. Not fun. Will DEFINITELY punch a hole in it next time!!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Gary, just out of curiosity what kind of oil do you run?

I run the used oil I get from the other cas and trucks in my fleet o crap round here..:D:angel:

Actually I like the Motorcraft 15W40 when I can find it on sale but usually I run only Chevron Delo 15W40. I just feel we need a better filteration system to rid us of the soot from blowby. That stuff is terrible. I have never seen it as high in any of my oil samples I send out to blackstone. So I'm guessing its not a problem. Just not appealing looking. I here Cummins engines found in the Dodge trucks oil stays a honey colored brown. Sure would like that. A high detergent oil like what I run will turn black quicker because its keeping the crap suspended in the oil like its designed to. So why is it differant in the cummins engines.. Better ring seal but how is that down. Thicker cylinder liners so the cylinders wont distort when the combustion happens that causes cavitation. :dunno

gatorman21218

Reaction score
That and a higher compression ratio increases blowby.

That reminds me of the time I went to change my oil. I was using my 3.5 gallon mop bucket like always and when I went to pull the bucket it was empty. HMMM somehow there was a crack in the bucket and all 12 qts leaked out. At least we have a gravel driveway. There wont be any dust on our driveway for years to come either.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like to use an automatic center punch to put a hole in the bottom, and if you really want to not drip a drop: put a screw in the hole you made with the automatic center punch to prevent any oil from running out the hole as you spin off the filter.

It's no fun to make a mess, but in reality messes happen, it just sucks when it's the sooty diesel oil. Sometimes it really does look like ink :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online