Champion radiator question

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Really not sure what these rubber mounts do for the radiator anyway. We have the 4 bolts to hold the radiators to the core support so. Why is the radiator on these rubber supports anyway???

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Really not sure what these rubber mounts do for the radiator anyway. We have the 4 bolts to hold the radiators to the core support so. Why is the radiator on these rubber supports anyway???
Yeah, to be honest I don't even know what rubber isolators they're talking about. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The original radiator is very heavy.the rubber mounts help support it and prevent the core support from cracking from flexing

Matt_INW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rubber mounts, I ran into the same problem when I ordered the champion radiator. Sadly I had destroyed the old rubber mounts trying to get them out. Went to a wrecking yard and was able to get a another set out after learning how NOT to do it on my dead radiator. You can have them if you need them.

Because I ended up returning my champion which was damaged shipping too. I did try using it, but one I hated how hot it got things under the hood. And two it leaked within a couple days of install (likely from the obvious drop damage to it).

I ended up buying a brand new copper and brass radiator from a place here in Washington which makes them. Nearly identical to OEM, it was $538. And it came with new rubber mounts! I can try to dig up how to order if you like. Can't order direct, had to go through a local shop.

For the questions on "what mounts", they're between 1/2 and 3/4 the way down on each side of the radiator. As others have said it helps with the vibration from the engine.

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rubber mounts, I ran into the same problem when I ordered the champion radiator. Sadly I had destroyed the old rubber mounts trying to get them out. Went to a wrecking yard and was able to get a another set out after learning how NOT to do it on my dead radiator. You can have them if you need them.

Because I ended up returning my champion which was damaged shipping too. I did try using it, but one I hated how hot it got things under the hood. And two it leaked within a couple days of install (likely from the obvious drop damage to it).

I ended up buying a brand new copper and brass radiator from a place here in Washington which makes them. Nearly identical to OEM, it was $538. And it came with new rubber mounts! I can try to dig up how to order if you like. Can't order direct, had to go through a local shop.

For the questions on "what mounts", they're between 1/2 and 3/4 the way down on each side of the radiator. As others have said it helps with the vibration from the engine.

Please dig up how to order! I'd love to have a copper/brass unit.

Thanks,
Kirk

Matt_INW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found it in my post from last May/June on the fun I had.

Here is the direct link to the radiator, assuming you have the tall one like I did for MAX Cooling with AC etc. Or see the 2nd link below to their main site where you can go through and select the right radiator. They make the shorter one too, and also an aluminum version if you're crazy. :)
http://thermalsolutions.mycarparts.net/products/(TSM)-432194?product_application_id=9036363958

They don't sell direct, at least they wouldn't to me last year. So you could call them and ask for someone in your area you can order through. Here's their main site. http://www.thermalsolutionsmfg.com/automotive-parts-catalog/

Or if you have issues I ordered from Corky's radiator in Spokane (509-325-5130), worst case could have it shipped here then to you, but I'm sure that would cost more and is hopefully not necessary. I expect that Thermal Solutions who makes the radiator can resell to companies in other states too.

And re-reading my old thread pasted below I'm reminded the new radiator did have a tiny leak (slow drip) where the bottom tank joined the core. The owner at Corky's added new sodder to the entire bottom reservoir to be safe (at no charge) and that did the trick. I've had no issues the past 14 months. http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?73066-What-s-that-smell

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
those isolators are on the lower support where the pins are.
people that mount front mounted innercoolers find them very handy.
I had to delete the 2 lower bolts when cutting for it.
I was going to put them back in, until I realized the pins held it also.
2 top bolts, and all is good!

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score

I believe they are to help isolate the radiator from the engine vibrations. A big radiator that holds 3 gallons of water will have 25 pounds of liquid weight beating against all those tiny solder joints a few hundred times per minute. But I'm sure you already knew that. I'm just posting for the newbies.

Anyone got a pic?