Ceramic coated pistons

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Richard, I've got a set of 7.3 heads that I can check for ya.;Sweet

Aught to be close enough, need to figure out the space between the piston and the head factory to add to the measurements you take off that engine to accurately figure the compression ratio. The Ricardo cups are going to affect it as well because of the pistons being milled.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
Ron if I recall correctly the stock crank out of my 92 had that blue, as did most all of them . thought I red/ heard some where that was normal

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
digging deep deep deep into forced memory loss now. I tore it down and rebuilt it but was given the wrong piston bore tolerance which caused all 8 to scuff, Ken rebuilt it, I pulled it back down after I blew the head gaskets. Now that I see those pics, I think the crank was blue when I put it back together the last time. I don't recall if it was like that from the get go, but even then (105K on the motor) neither the crank or rod bearings had much wear

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Thanks Barney.
I dug into another one of my cores and discovered the same thing so with the bearings being in good shape the big challenge will be what piston will get the thumbs up.;Sweet

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any mention of longevity from Classic Coating? Did Chris coat his pistons on the 6.9 he built? Trying to think of who else has coated crowns that might be able to answer that question.

Heath

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Any mention of longevity from Classic Coating? Did Chris coat his pistons on the 6.9 he built? Trying to think of who else has coated crowns that might be able to answer that question.

Heath

I think that was the only question I didn't ask them.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Seems like it would be a good idea to ceramic coat the Ricardo cups too, as that is where alot of energy ends up heating the heads instead of pushing down on the piston. I have heard that this is where the IDI loses efficiency.

It also might explain why Ford/IH closed up the coolant flow passages on 7.3s- perhaps they were trying to make the motor a bit more efficient by running the heads hotter. :dunno

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cranks are all pretty blue from the factory. reground ones usually arent because they shotblas clean them prior to grinding, if they just hot tank them to clean thenthe color remains.
Those precup cracks are normal. 3/8th long is the limit I think, and that is toward the fire ring.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Good thought about why the 7.3 block and heads are plugged but I need to ask why the 6.9 is open. I know of the smal differance in the flame trench between the 6.9 and 7.3 but is that all there is...:dunno

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Hate to go off track.....noticing that you have a precup removed, can you pull length and width measurements on the precup to supplement another thread on here?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin