Cavitation fears - any way to know if cavitation exists with block out of truck?

DNR0721

Reaction score
I sure wish I would have read the threads and articles here first before buying this truck - thanks to everyone's contributions!!!

So I purchased a 1992 F250 XLT Lariat with Garrett turbocharger knowing full well that it had problems (loss of power and white smoke from exhaust about 30K miles into a fresh rebuild). With many articles and threads about cylinder head woes from using standard head bolts, I guess I was banking on it being a head gasket problem.

I have the engine removed from the truck so I can't perform any of the in-truck leak testing mentioned in several places. What is the best way to know if I have any cavitation? Does magna-fluxing work in this situation?

BigDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best way would be to pull it down to the bare block and have a diesel machine shop pressure test the block. Then if it leaks have it sleeved on all 8 holes.

BigDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I paid 60 bucks for the pressure test and $1000 for sleeves and sleeving. Use the melling hardened sleeves as they will last longer.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sorry but there are no new running engines out there anywhere for any price. Only new heads are made for the 7.3 engines. I think you jumped into the engine before doing some tests about the white smoke. First off was the coolant dissappearing. Did this white smoke only happen at stratup and then go away or did it white smoke all the time. A poorly rebuilt engine can have plenty of issues too if it was bored.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828