Caterpillar vs. Interstate batteries. 2 yr life?

CESMITH

1986F250 6.9
Reaction score
i have two( strong box batterys sold by John Deere) that have lasted 7 years . wore out two starters .and started this morning to plow snow . they have epoxyed plates for vibration might be the next battery in my IDI

Gary79F250

The Bawston Whalah
Reaction score
As much as I hate Cat, I havent seen a better built battery, I worked for them and I have seen the insides, Epoxy and a decent tray under the plates for accumulation. You realy can't go wrong there, I can not stand interstate, but whoever Fleetpride gets their batteries from is decent. The Mack Bulldog line is a decent choice too.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
I'm no fan of Interstate batteries. The best light duty batteries I've ever used are AC Delco.
When I was selling parts, the local farmers tried Federated, Co-op, Interstate, Continental, and finally found out that Delco's lasted longer in diesel pickups.

On Optima's. A local spray pilot was designing a turbo-prop retrofit, for small radial airplanes. He swore by Optima's, as the gell cells could be mounted in any position, and didn't leak like conventional wet cells.

zukinut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have some interstates, i like them. Couldnt find dekas or i would be running them.

As for optimas. The originals were good batteries. They changed something about a year and a half ago. Then they went to crap. Theyre is a thread on pirate4x4.com explaining this.

For my rockcrawler i ran a red top optima. Once they die its over no charging them back. I now run a blue top exide battery. That thing is nuts. Killed it dead, only 1 volt coming out of it. Stuck it on a trickle charge and 45 minutes later it was full charge and has been ever since.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In regards to Optima batteries, there is a major difference between the yellow tops and the red tops. The yellow tops are made from 99% ****** lead, while the red tops are more like 80%. Apparently the difference results in the red tops lasting about as long as a traditional battery about one time out of three, which means you are rolling the dice in regards to service life. The yellow tops are supposed to be far more consistent and last twice as long. My buddy has a yellow top that is now 7 years old, and has been in a Mustang that was wrecked in the front twice, still working well.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
The yellow tops also have thicker plates and a stronger acid as they are a deep cycle battery. Not a true deep cycle though. Hybrid starting and deep cycle where as the red is just a starting battery.