Catastrophic fail?

rowingdude

Reaction score
Hi everyone, so I just got back home without my truck :(

Here's the story. A few weeks ago, I bought a truck from a "mechanic" who buys cars at auction and repairs them and then sells them. This particular truck was apparently his, it was registered in his name since the year 2000.. regardless. It seemed to be in proper working order. I got it home, added coolant, some coolant additive, and did a total filter and oil change.

I got the feeling from the guy that the motor was having subtle issues, new glow plugs, batteries, alternator, and then a collection of other things like injector o-rings were all recently replaced... so I started to shop for a new motor.

I found a new motor in Wisconsin (a 4 1/2 hour drive). I worked out a time and all and today, this morning, at 0700, I rolled out. I made North Chicago about 11am, and then the truck started acting REALLY funny. I heard what I thought was an exhaust leak, so I crawled under the truck and found a hole in the exhaust, looked as if it rusted out.. no biggie, so I get going again and the Oil Temp (or is it the pressure gauge) bottomed out. I'm on the highway at this point, so I get off the highway and take US41NB so that if I have trouble, I can find assistance and not be on the damned expressway. So I was limping the truck along US41 and then the truck starts losing power. I jammed the accelerator thinking it was something environmental (the road was crap) and then I heard a knock... and the motor ceased turning. I safely steered with my remaining inertia into a business park lot and set about looking things over.

There was coolant on several surfaces on the driver's side of the motor. I could not discern the origin of it. I did not drain any fluids to check for coolant in oil or vice-versa..

My questions:

1. Does this sound like "cavitation"?
2. Was this maybe from poor upkeep by the previous owner?
3. If a truck sits with untreated coolant, will the untreated coolant eat the cooling passage walls like acid?

Rich bit of irony: I was on my way to buy a "new" motor and a manual transmission when this one died :(

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
The fact that you were driving with no oil pressure might have a little something to do with it...

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well we don't have a oil temp light so my bet is you lost oil pressure and there it went from there...sorry to hear about the luck

SHARPIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No oil pressure - stop! Pull the stick on the side of engine!

Fill - No oil pressure...Call a tow truck do not drive until it locks up.

No #2 was not driving it,

""The motor was having subtle issues, new glow plugs, batteries, alternator, and then a collection of other things like injector o-rings were all recently replaced""

That's a lot of cash for not taking care of it!

JMO

rowingdude

Reaction score
Guys, I am sorry I made this stupid thread. I was exhausted and not thinking yesterday, reading over this, I did everything wrong. :(

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No apologies necessary, we have all made mistakes, just revive the old girl, use the good parts on the replacment engine and roll on, and definately tear down the old one to see what happened.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
It sounds like you lost oil and threw a rod windowing the block. thats when a rod breaks thru the wall of the block ruining it from further use. Usually many parts can be saved but you have to open it up to find what happened. A 6.9 engine is just a good and powerful as a 7.3 engine plus. Most all the internal parts are the same so they swap over easily. Only the pistons and heads are differant and even those can be made to fit with some work. Sorry for the bad luck but its repairable with another engine.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

think it will look like this? 4 cyl perkins we pulled today. still ran though.

rowingdude

Reaction score
You're telling me that isn't so the mechanic can verify the working of the motor??!! Wow, I can't imagine what kind of 'bang' that made!

SHARPIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've all done it, When I rebuilt my first engine I didn't have a torque wrench...And well let's say it didn't end well,We all had to start somewhere and a locked engine is the perfect place to start

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
If its in to bad of shap pm me and i have a good engine i'll let go super cheap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle