Carrier fuel pump help needed.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats some mess ya got there Ken... I'm thinking its time to drop the tanks and hand wipe the insides. The rear tank will be the tuffest to drop and clean out. I tried to reach in mine but the old arm isn't going in far enough.... Popeye arms I guess...:rotflmao Anyway the front tank is easy... The rear is something you need to let someone else do for you...

gandalf

Reaction score
Since it sounds like this filter is a little hard to come by, maybe it would be better to pull it through a golden rod with one of those sediment screens first, then through your pump, then through the regular golden rod or what ever filter set up you are using in the picture.

Just a thought,
Mark

The filtering unit shown in the picture above was designed by, and belongs to, Calvin, our very own Towcat. It worked very well transferring fuel from one truck to another within his fleet. Using it on my truck is a stress test.

The Carrier pump is a known-good model, used by some here on their trucks. The first of three filters seen on the devise is a Goldenrod. It's the one with the big sediment bowl. It filters out the large crap and water. Then it goes on to a Wix Filter/water separator at 10 microns. Finally it goes to a Wix 2 micron filter, and back into the tank.

What we need at this point is either a way to clean the mesh screen on the Carrier pump, or a source for replacement screens.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Okay, so this is something that is not attached to the vehicle.

I was confused. I too should get something like this to strain my oil.

SWS

gandalf

Reaction score
dude that looks like filter/strainers we use on our sonic cleaner tanks.... you might try measuring it and running down to a local industrial supply house and see what they might come up with. Yours looks to be a finer mesh than ours but I'm sure they can be purchased in varying degrees of filtration.

Travis--that's a good thought, a possible source. We haven't yet been able to determine whether Carrier will supply the screen.

Could you take a look at what you have, please, and give us the specs? ID, OD, length, and degree of filtration would be good. Thanks.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks the same as a John deere 50z excavator fuel filter, gimme dimensions.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you ever managed to puncture a screen somehow, I noticed that most farm stores seem to have a screen that is similar if not identical. It measures out the same, it just may not be the same micron screen, but it would work in a jam.

Those screens are real easy to clean on the side of the road with a can of spray brake parts cleaner, just shoot it down from the inside blowing out and it will clear very quickly, even if you have critters in your tank. That's one of the joys of those pumps is being able to see when it needs cleaning and being able to mount it where it's easy to get to without having to crawl around on your back ;Sweet

gandalf

Reaction score
This seems strange. I went out to the garage a moment ago to measure the filter screen, and found it much cleaner than when I put it away Sunday. It was actually dripping, and there was a quarter inch or so of fluid in the sediment bowl. It appeared to be diesel, but smelled rather like paint thinner.

It's too late today to try for pictures. I have to go to work soon. I'll try for the pictures and get measurements tomorrow if I have a chance.

Anybody care to guess what might be happening?

gandalf

Reaction score
Perhaps I was just a bit hasty thinking that the screen was clean enough to reuse. I took a closer look this morning, and got some pictures.

True, much of the crud has drained off, both the outside and the inside surfaces. But the screen itself is still pretty well plugged. Pictures below, 4 days after use and plugging.

The dimensions for the screen/filter are: length=3 11/16, ID=1 1/2, OD=1 3/4.

I just took another look at the Carrier pump, and it suddenly occurred to me that the numbers on stamped on the side might have meaning.cookoo I'm adding another picture. The top number, 40269, looks so very similar to the facet part number. This might be significant.

Attachments

• DSCF7838.JPG
    DSCF7838.JPG
    783.5 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF7839.JPG
    DSCF7839.JPG
    788.5 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF7841.JPG
    DSCF7841.JPG
    955.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I wonder if putting the screen in boiling water will clean it...:dunno Usually if something like this plugs up just force fliud or air pressure thru it from the opposite side that it plugged up from. That usually cleans things out...:dunno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So.... Did we ever find a replacement filter for this... I have been looking for one just in case I "need one too".... I love spare parts....:sly:D

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
So, its hollow, can you put a window screen over the end of it on the inlet side and replace it when it algea's over?

SWS

gandalf

Reaction score
So, its hollow, can you put a window screen over the end of it on the inlet side and replace it when it algea's over?

SWS

No. The top end is a push fit against the pump motor, and the bottom end is the same against the bottom of the sediment bowl. The only passage for fuel is through the mesh of the screen.

So far as I know nobody has come up with a definite replacement. We've found some that look good, seem about right. But nobody has said, "Yes, that's the one."

I'm still working on the idea of cleaning the one currently on the pump.

gandalf

Reaction score
A bit of progress. Yesterday I spoke with a very pleasant young lady at Utility Trailer Sales, in Lathrop, CA. She couldn't have been more helpful.

She looked through a number of books, since I couldn't give her the pump model number (it's not readable), and finally said, "I think this is it. The part number for that screen filter is 30-01108-20. It's in Book #62-10876. It's an 80 micron filter. That's the good news. The bad news is that it's no longer produced, and the factory has no replacements."

Then today I spoke with Calvin (twice actually). On the second call he reported that someone had come up with the part number, from an independent source. He gave me the number 30-01108-02SV. Notice, the last two digits are reversed, and he added two letters. Sounds like either he or I or the woman in Lathrop transcribed those last two digits.

We're making some real progress here.;Sweet This is particularly important since I still haven't found anything that will effectively clean that filter screen.

These part numbers, btw, are, I think, Carrier numbers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online