cant remove carrier from 10.25 rear

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
iv got the bearing caps off and have the axle shafts out. and cannot get the damn thing out. do i need to unbolt the ring gear first? iv tried prying it out but it doesnt want to budge.

when i checked backlash it was .030 and spec is .008-.012 or something close to that. the wear looked perfect though and no chips in the gears or even metal shavings. should i reshim the carrier when putting back together?

where is the best/cheapest place to get shims from and maybe a LS rebuild kit?

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're re-using the same gears and carrier, re-use the existing shims. As for getting the ring gear out, one trick that works pretty slick is to jam a rag between the ring and pinion and turn the pinion, pulling the rag into the gears. It usually will pop the ring gear and carrier out quick and easy. Another trick that works pretty slick is a decent sized ratchet strap looped around the carrier and attached to the bumper.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
great ideas thanks, ill give it a try tomorrow.

i am going to be putting a different carrier in this axle but the backlash was .030 way out of spec, so should i try and keep it close to .030 or get it back in spec?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Needs to be at spec, check carefuly for worn bearings and such.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
thats what i thought thanks.

where can i get the shim kit at for cheap?

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Loose backlash can make for broken gears. I'd recommend setting it up to spec, however, with stock gears and a stock carrier, if the backlash is out, there is wear in some other parts.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
should i change out the bearings too, or if they seem alright just reshim back to spec?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you need another 10.25 to cannibalize for parts I have one you can have for free. No guarantees on the condition but it worked fine when I had it pulled. Come get it and it's yours. It was 4.10 and I wanted 3.55

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
cool thanks for the offer. what i am doing is taking the LS out of my mud truck and putting it in my DD then welding my open carrier and putting it in the mud truck. i just cant have my DD down for more then a day. so iv started with the mud truck rear to prepare me for it.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alrighty. I've been trying to give this thing away, it was perfect but now it has set and I have no idea if it's any good or not. I used to do a lot more highway driving and had teh C6 so you can imagine 68 mph at 3000 rpm was awful. Maybe this 10.25 is destined for the scrap yard, I just am trying to make sure no one can use it before that happens.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
yeah that sucks to get rid of good parts, now that i think of it search on chuckstrucks there was just a guy in the orlando area looking for that same axle.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I bought a Raytech kit from ebay (was actually summit) for like $40. Do a search for 10.25 Ford 10.25 Sterling on ebay.

And I wouldn't put it back with .030 backlash, but that's just me.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
how does the ring gear come off the carrier. i am going to get the bearings done at a shop i dont have a press, but i want to get the ring gear off. i took the 12 bolts out and tried tapping it with a mallet. am i missing something or do i need to beat it harder. also which direction does it come out? or does the bearing on that side need to come off first and then the ring gear will slide off?