Can't get injection pump out

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i can't get the injection pump out of my 7.3 idi. I don't understand why it's not coming out. Any help would be great appreciated.

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took off the pump nuts and the 12pt bolts and got all the injector lines loose but it won't come off. There is a gasket seal that looks to be on the pump where it's bolts up to the timing cover.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
I think there is an o-ring on the snout of the pump. If it looks like there's a gasket between the pump and the timing cover, maybe some "clever" person put some silicone there. You may have to gently pry it away from the timing cover.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the pump stuck to the drive gear cover? Or, are you having a hard time wiggling it out and off the top of the engine?

Heath

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BFH, a rubber one, smack it on the side towards the gear housing on the square for turning it.

gandalf

Reaction score
Now that you have all the nuts and bolts off, and the injector lines loose it should come out without too much difficulty. Are you able to rotate it, even just a little bit, as it sits there? You say there is a visible gasket seal between the IP and the gear tower? I don't recall that there is one visible. Can you send a real good picture of that?

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I can once I get off work and no I can't turn it or anything. I also have a question about the return line caps which kind does a 1990 suppose to have on it or does it not matter?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like someone used silicone or something they weren't supposed to on it.

90 should have the larger 7.3 caps/lines.

Heath

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So like these caps or the other style of them?

You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My guess is someone foolishly used RTV and maybe a gasket to "seal up an oil leak". If the pump will not turn from right to left then you have some sealant causing this. ALL these pumps have an oil ring that seals off the oil from leaking and.... That o ring allows you to adjust the pump for timing. This is a new one for me. Would never have thought any body would glue in an injection pump.
As for correct return line kits just look at the color of the clamps. Red is the larger lines and green is the smaller lines. DO NOT MIX & MATCH these line sizes. You will cause many leaks.

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay thank you does it matter about the caps that you put on the injectors? Mine didn't have the ones in that picture so I don't know what kind of caps it needs

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay thank you does it matter about the caps that you put on the injectors? Mine didn't have the ones in that picture so I don't know what kind of caps it needs

What does it have on the injectors????

Pictures please.

Heath

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online