Can you decipher this rear diff tag?

RustyRecycledT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all.

I'm VERY seriously considering adding an '87 DRW/CC into my diesel fleet. I'm trying to make heads or tails out of whats in the rear so I know what I'm getting into. I just got back from a trip to KS yesterday to haul home another parts car and the fuel mileage in Smaug is just killing me on these long road trips. (Not to mention it's kinda rough ridin on the big roads) I'm hoping the CC (being 2wd & longer WB) would offer a little relief.

Anyhow, The tag on the rear diff reads:
top reads
V171c
Bottom reads
4L10 10 2 7c02

Can someone please decifer this code and tell what the hell all that means?

Thanks again......

gandalf

Reaction score
I'll cut and paste from an old post I saved. I can't even tell you whose is was. The one thing I can't tell you is what that initial "V" is, but I'm sure somebody can.

On the differential "tag" located on one of the cover bolts at the 3:30 position, there should be 2 (two) rows of letters and numbers. Write these down.

If the first row begins with the letter "S", then it's a sterling. Also, most Dana rears have the fill plug on the cover, the Sterlings usually have them on the drivers side on the "body" of the differential, not on the cover.

For example, my differential has the following numbers/letters:

S132G
4L10 102 3H26

This means that on my truck I have:

S= sterling diff
132= model 132
G= Revision G of model 132

4 10= 4.10 gear ratio
L= limited slip (the absence of L means open diff)
102= ring gear size of 10.25 (a 3.55 limited slip would be marked 3L55)
3= year of mfg (1993)
H= month of mfg. (August)
26= day of mfg.

On Edit: V stands for the Van **** Plant. Maybe somebody can tell you whether that's an advantage. I don't know.

Hope that helps. You're looking at a 4.10 limited slip differential. Good for pulling, but probably a bit ******* mileage.

Last edited:

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
Should be an axle code in the door Jamb just google ford axle code number x. Mine has 3:55s an my code was 49 I think

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On Edit: V stands for the Van **** Plant. Maybe somebody can tell you whether that's an advantage. I don't know.

Hope that helps. You're looking at a 4.10 limited slip differential. Good for pulling, but probably a bit ******* mileage.

What he said, 4.10 gears with a limited-slip differential.

The Van **** plant is in Sterling Heights in MI, so the axle is a Sterling axle even tho it may not say "S" on that tag.

RustyRecycledT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. That was the kind of info I've come to expect around here.

Yeah, I looked at the door tag and it told me that it was a 4.10 limited slip, but I was courious what everything else on the reardiff tag meant, as well as a little confused. I went to the site referred to here on OB oh so many times and for a D5 code it said 4.10 LS 1991. The trucks an '87.

Am I crazy thinking a DRW/CC with C6& 4.10 rear is going to do any better mileage wise than my C6,4.10,4x4 sporting 33 x 12.5 all terrains? My average on my 420 mile round trip yesterday was about 10.5 mpg. That's pretty harsh!

It woulda been cheaper to drive the bus!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online