Can I ground both a 12V and a 24V alternator to the same ground

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and don't you need a light bulb or something between the positive and negative connections in that diagram. Like headlights or something?

they could be switched on at the time of ignition so you don't kill the bats

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
You dont need a 24v alt. The batteries are ONLY 12v afterall, it is just how they are wired to make 24v

dennis

Reaction score
how large are your pumps ? hp? the wiring diagram will give you 12v and 24 v but no way to charge all batteries with 12v and still have 24v available. depending on your current draw with the pumps: maybe a 12v to 110vac inverter running into a 24v battery charger then into a 24v battery bank .

international

Drownin' in diesel
Reaction score
how large are your pumps ? hp? the wiring diagram will give you 12v and 24 v but no way to charge all batteries with 12v and still have 24v available. depending on your current draw with the pumps: maybe a 12v to 110vac inverter running into a 24v battery charger then into a 24v battery bank .

Gee, that sounds efficient...

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The alternators in those military vehicles are 24 volt. What he showed you will only work correctly with a 24 volt alternator. I worked on several of those setups in K5s that local police departments got from the national guard. While they work it really needs a battery equalizer to work correctly.

dennis

Reaction score
I think this application is a little different than the military I would say 90% of load is 12v so to draw that much off the 12v tap would be ******* both batteries.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I will be the naysayer on this one.

An inverter also steals power from the system, which causes you to either eat up more battery power, or requiring a larger alternator to keep up with demands.

And yes, a 12V alternator will charge the entire Hummer combined 12/24 system....with a single wire... make sure it's of sufficient grade to keep up with amperage demands. like if you have an ambulance 300W alternator, you don't want some 12 gauge wire. Gotta know your total possible demand.

This is done on boats all the time.

My old Detroit runs 24V everything, my nav lights and just about 90% of my system runs 24V. The only thing that runs off 12V is a marine band radio and one deck light.

BTW- if you ever listen to a starter running off of 12V v. 24V, we're talking a roll-n-half to start on 24V v. 4-5 rolls to get the beast m moving. 24V has sufficient output to really kick anything it powers, yet uses less amps.... means smaller wires capable.... except on the charging system. The end power draw (Watts=consumption or draw)on a 24V v. 12V is less. You end up using less power to do the same work. A reason 48V is preferred on SOLAR systems as well.

Voltage is what pushes amps, the bigger volts requires less effort.

Think of a fat lardo like me, pushing against a skinny 90lb weakling, just my mass will overcome the effort required to do the work. Same with higher voltage systems. The mass of the higher voltage will overcome the work necessary to perform, hence less amps or watts required to do something.

Used to be a time in boating where 32V reigned as king. You should see the wires compared to 12V systems to do the same work. We must wire in larger gauge wires when converting.

In the case of 24V v. 32V, hardly anyone uses 32V any more because the dad-gummed starters, alternators and expense of the batteries killed them. 24V is superior, but, it does cost more in both space and money for the second battery. Some of the old 32V starters weighed over 100 lbs. on 8/12-71's. 8V batteries don't marry well in combined voltage systems either. Sure, you can use three 12V batteries to power a 32V system, afterall, the alternator charge is 36V, but alas, three 12V batteries are 36V but needs a 42.6V alternator to keep up with demand.... kinda tricky for those "trickster" dummies who attempt to outbid me on owners trying to get by on the cheeeeep!

Guess who ends up coming back with tail 'tween their fins after their "conversion" falls short of demand? ;Really

12V, 24V, 32V, 48V 96V DC systems can all ground to the same frame.... including 115V, 230V and 440V AC....... however, you combine any positive incorrectly..... if you wake up.... don't tell me all that ash around your ***** is my fault! LOL

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CApttom sounds like you know which endof a wrench too hold onto. any ideas on switching a 55 gm 12v coach to neg grnd and still use the same gen, I know it needs to be repolarized but havent done one. Its for the kids bus.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CApttom sounds like you know which endof a wrench too hold onto. any ideas on switching a 55 gm 12v coach to neg grnd and still use the same gen, I know it needs to be repolarized but havent done one. Its for the kids bus.

Nope!

:rotflmao

Depends... but first, a GM positive grounded?? WOW! I thought only the Germans did such nonsense!

Basically, anything that requires positive ground needs to be tossed. If it is a diesel with an electric stop solenoid, starter, alternator, all regulators etc.

Then we get into the gauges, sending units(fuel, oil pressure, temp, etc.)..blahblahblah. Lights will run either way. If the senders aren't rewired, their potentiometer systems will read reverse to the gauge etc.

Having said that, if you decide to rewire all the above instead of replace, just make sure all the wire colors indicate correctly, could be a problem for the next buyer making assumptions. It's all about the 'trons going through the correct direction.

Of course, this is mostly wagging. I've never had to reverse wire anything....and frankly, I wouldn't want to. There's no real reason to do so, unless you just want it that way. Hopefully the body would/could be removed for ease of rewiring.

BTW- I just bought one of those pre-wired harnesses for my headlights from RJM. Not that, that matters, but they sell some pretty nifty waterproof harness connectors. You can r/r the pins to splice your wires into, with a nifty little pin tool. Crimp the wire onto the pin and lock it into the plug. I've usually used my little test light probe to release those buggers... PITA!

Anyway, on some of my personal boats, I tend to gut all the wiring and replace with cables. It makes for a real clean installation. The cables have two 10gauge wires (black/red) and ten of other colors. The only place the wires are separated are at the ends to flay them out to the necessary senders or controls. Since it's a cable, it's already wrapped in a sheath.... no taping or running wire cover(unless heat protection needed). It's expensive because it's marine grade.... tinned wire, but man, the time savings of running 12 wires, all color coded, no mess and pre-wrapped is sah-weet! On all my main wire harnesses, I install waterproof plugs. It makes taking out engines a breeze. Unplug the harness and the rest is just bolts, starter feed wire and alternator wire. The latter two are wired searately due to much larger wire gauge than my cables can handle, except the solenoid control from the dash- it's in the harness too. Don't even have to remember where what wire goes where.

I pulled two 35 gallon trash can's full of wiring out of a 30' Sea Ray once. That poor boat had every bastreed wire kook under its dash and engine spaces. An electrical nightmare. Even had those danged wire connectors you just clip into the insulation all over the place.... I still wanna slap that idiot.

The only wires I didn't have to touch were 115V, I think they were too scared to touch it.

When I was done, it appeared there were only four wires controlling everything. One cable for each engine and accessories, then two for house systems. The only time you could tell there was more than one wire in the system, was at the end of the cables as they opened up to wire in the appropriate stuff.

Of course there were the battery cables powering all the power centers, starters and inverters, but all else was trim.

I was able to do this on an older vessel because there were no linked systems, like computer controllers and such. It was an idiot system, so someone like me could do it easily.

I'd caution against this on anything with computers cuz sometimes wire length and size is controlling signal voltage. Wire resistance is part of many installation plans.... don't even ask.....cuz I don't know! :dunno

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya the more I think of that 4 battery configuration the more I keep seeing an uneven charge and discharge. I'm also a bit funny on the pos to neg connect with no load indicated. Seems like something would go up in smoke with out a load between potentials.

Found this one and thought I'd throw it at the group

You must be registered for see images attach

My question on this diagram is, if I'm off and charging at 12v what happens when its on and charging ? am I charging at 12v minus the load on the resistance between the connecting terminals and will the charger self regulate to accommodate that load? And would a solar panel charger work to make up for the 10/1 charge discharge ratio recommended?

and if you want to know what I'm running with it, its at the top left of the system running a gear head pump.

I've taken the truck apart since this was shot, fuel system worked great tho. The pump motor is 24v and the bracket I put it on is sized just right for it. I can use the resistance ( shown in the diagram as a head lamp ) to power my tank heaters or line heater or under the hood heater. and the system shows that switch I mentioned earlier.

Anyway I'm just about done rebuilding the truck, waiting on my exhaust components to come in. ( end of the week :dunno ) I need to get an interior ( gotta be seats for under 1k somewhere ) install rear fender flair repair panels and paint. After that I'm back on the road

Cheers
Dan

Oh and I should give credit to this site for the diagram and ( if I look long enough maybe even an answer to my question )
http://www.yandina.com/24VoltBattery.htm

Last edited:

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya the more I think of that 4 battery configuration the more I keep seeing an uneven charge and discharge. I'm also a bit funny on the pos to neg connect with no load indicated. Seems like something would go up in smoke with out a load between potentials.

Found this one and thought I'd throw it at the group

My question on this diagram is, if I'm off and charging at 12v what happens when its on and charging ? am I charging at 12v minus the load on the resistance between the connecting terminals and will the charger self regulate to accommodate that load? And would a solar panel charger work to make up for the 10/1 charge discharge ratio recommended?

and if you want to know what I'm running with it, its at the top left of the system running a gear head pump.

I've taken the truck apart since this was shot, fuel system worked great tho. The pump motor is 24v and the bracket I put it on is sized just right for it. I can use the resistance ( shown in the diagram as a head lamp ) to power my tank heaters or line heater or under the hood heater. and the system shows that switch I mentioned earlier.

Anyway I'm just about done rebuilding the truck, waiting on my exhaust components to come in. ( end of the week :dunno ) I need to get an interior ( gotta be seats for under 1k somewhere ) install rear fender flair repair panels and paint. After that I'm back on the road

Cheers
Dan

Oh and I should give credit to this site for the diagram and ( if I look long enough maybe even an answer to my question )
http://www.yandina.com/24VoltBattery.htm

HOLY SMOKIN' FREAKIN' TOTIN!!!

Gotta be a veg system. Like the fact you can centrifuge right on the truck!!

Six filters though?? I'm curious as to why so many without a filter switch?

Not that I'm being critical, just thinking out loud.

I realize the dual filter mounts don't allow for it, but if you've got 2 of the same filters on the same line in series, why not separate the two, run one at a time with a valve between them. This way, if one of the filters gets dirty, throw the valve and you're still golden, can change the plugged filter while pump is still running and filtering.

Does your 24V pump create enough pressure to run the centrifuge, or is there another higher pressure pump to run the 'fuge'? Don't they operate at between 40 and 70psi? If it is the 24V pump, what brand and what size/brand/model is the pump head? Jabsco?

I like that you're using 24V for that pump. Moving veggie is pretty tough when it's cold. Doe you have an external tube heater or do you have an internal tank heater? Core running off of coolant or electric? I'm assuming electric by your statement in the battery question.

You did a very nice installation on that system.

You also stated four batteries. Are you running 4-6V batteries for 24V? Where do you put the extra 2? Do 2 fit in each factory tray?

To answer your load question, I would think your heater would solve the problem in place of the headlights in the diagram. I'd forget about the solar panel, not enough amps to charge from a single panel, then you've got to have an amp controller, combiners etc.

The diagram is showing a series parallel system. It's not all that uncommon.

You can keep the two systems separate with just the switch. It's used a lot in larger vessels with complex battery systems and for emergency starting.

If you look, the 24V wires are connected as hot and ground, but so is the 12V system. The only time you get 24V is when you connect the two 12's in series + to -.

The battery on the left is providing ground for both 12/24V systems. If you hook your charging wire to either positive terminal, it will charge both batteries as it goes through the V-drop device... you could use a plain ole resistor, a lamp as shown or your heater.

If the dual or simultaneous charge is making you nervous, you could use a battery isolator with charging capabilities. Basically, you can charge both 12V batteries at the same time without going through the other like our factory set up already does-we have two batteries in parallel being charged from a single wire off our charging system.

The battery isolator is just a couple of diodes in a box that allows for charging both at the same time, but doesn't allow the two banks to negatively affect the other. If you have one bad battery, it will be "Isolated" from the other and prevent the bad from dragging down the good.

I use 4-6V batteries in series to power my big boat. This creates bigger amps than 2-12V batteries, plus I can rob the system as described in your diagram for that 1% that uses 12V, albeit, not as large a draw as your 24V pump. My amperage draw is less than 6amp, unless I'm using a small 2500lb 12V electric winch that is much like the thruster amperage in your schematic when pulling a load, except mine's in reverse, I'm robbing 12V out of a 24V system.

I replace batteries about every 5 years, unless a bad one gets in there. 6V batteries are less expensive to replace than are 12V-8D too! Marine batteries are typically replaced every three years, four years max. If your marine batteries last long, it's cuz your filling and testing every few months, depending on the shore power/charger installed. Good one v. bad one. I use my boat almost daily and turn off all systems, except auto-bilge pumps. I don't even use a dock charger.... keeps batteries healthier longer.... except when I need to desulfate them....then they get a blast charge at 40 amps for 15 minutes(helps knock off the hard crystallized sulphates out of the lead pores) and an overnight 2amp charge. I only do this once maybe twice a year...probably don't even need the 40 amp blast...I do it "just cuz"!

Just be careful of what wires are going where.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotta another question for you Boston: "Why no filter on the suction side of your pump?"

Although gear pumps are made of bronze-metal, even bacon bits will wear the gear heads faster than clean oil.

I know gear pumps don't create good head, and a restriction from a filter may cause priming issues, but that can be solved by moving the pump lower where fluid pressures will help feed the pump and filter.

Ok... one more question...sorry... I can't follow the centrifuge lines in your picture, I can't see where it's feeding from, unless the disconnected line up top is for a separate higher pressure pump to operate the centrifuge. I know it dumps from the bottom and can see the gravity line going into the tank... just the top line get's buried by another filter line.

Again, please don't take this as criticism... I love your idea and great installation, just trying to figure out the "systems" diagram and operations.

Thanks for humoring me! :rolleyes: LOL

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No worries Tom. The simple answer is, I'm still working on it.

If you want the long answer

I've run the filter with both pre-filtered ( down to about 50 microns if I'm lucky ) veggie oil and used motor oil. The system is primarily designed for used motor oil. I've got farm plates on it, so I can carry up to 502 gallons of the stuff, no permit, no EPA. Its a 200 gallon tank designed to carry as much as the truck will hold. Its a F250 but it holds one ton just fine. Given my millage before the rebuild it should give me a range of about 3000+ miles. Basically one good road trip. I prefer the used motor oil but veggie works as well, you just have to be careful about engine temps.

The centrifuge might not be a part of the final configuration, it puts a lot of strain on the system. I might add another pump but its probably not worth it. The filters work best in the 20lb range with no more than about 4lbs cross pressure difference, or the pop valves go. Other than on that first filter which has about a 20lb pop valve in it. The purilators are excellent filters but they are a little delicate. The centrifuge runs best at 100lb so you can see where sneaking up on 100lbs with no more than 4lbs cross pressure difference might be more trouble than its worth. Without the centrifuge there is no constriction in the system. free flowing 1/2 inch lines right off the head all the way. The double filters means that the flow is halved at each filter, slower = better in this case.

the filters run orange ( ~20 microns ) white ( about 5 microns ) gold ( about 1 micron ) then into the centrifuge and then into the big water separator and from there back into the tank. There is an overpressure bleeder valve ahead of the filters that sends excess pressure back to the tank. There is a baffle in the tank that sorta separates filtered from unfiltered. Actually I just return to one side and draw from the other.

The centrifuge arrived stripped from the factory and although they didn't want to believe it they agreed to take it back, that was months ago and I've not had the time to get to the post orifice. I know I'm a procrastinator and I might have lost my window of opportunity on that one but oh well. I don't think I really need the centrifuge anyway.

There is also an exhaust heat exchanger going in ahead of everything. So my pumps gotta be running pretty much whenever the trucks running. Although I don't think my exhaust gas temp at that point in the system is ever going to be above the 300°C mark which is the low end of the boiling point for motor oil. Might boil veggie tho, so there is a bypass going back to the tank where pressure can bleed off at the cap. I hope, wish me luck on that one.

The viscosity issue is also kinda critical. The pump and all quick connectors are above the level of fluid in the tank for safety reasons, but it means I gotta watch the viscosity of the fluid. I've got about 100 gallons of veggie oil in the back yard and I'm planing on cooking up 20 gallons at a time into bio-diesel and mixing it with the motor oil. Should do the trick at 1/10 which is probably a bit much but I also want the cleaning properties of the bio to help keep the tank clean and the gunk in the filters where it belongs.

I'm also working on a pyrolysis system and just frak the motor oil directly into diesel but thats down the road a bit. Gotta finish the truck first. Thats also not an onboard system, Thing about Fraking is that I could use shredded tires, which has a friend of mine on capitol hill's interest as the states awash in tires. Long story for a different thread but I've got an economically viable way to produce vehicle grade fuel from used car tires. Its small, clean, cheap, and it works. On paper. ;-)

I really like the two battery set up, ( hope you all forgive me for thinking out loud on this thing, but I can always do a better job if I get a little consulting time in ). I'd seen it before but I was hoping I could avoid the charging issues, maybe by simply going straight off a 24V alternator,. I'm now thinking its more complicated than simply hooking up some heaters as resistors in the two bat system posted above and I appreciate all the help

I am concerned about uneven discharge on the bats and would love to hear more about how that diode bridge goes in. I'm not completely unfamiliar with electrical systems but if you could run me through the logic I'd appreciate it. I know what they do, ( only allow the flow of electrons in one direction ) but how they are sized and how compatible are they with the internals on the batteries.

I'm generally not to bad with electronics as long as its thoroughly explained, For instance are we talking about schlotsky diodes which require a heat sink or those little round ones that are designed for pretty much no voltage.

Dam I just thought of something, I need both bats under the hood at 12V, Basically I can't rewire them in this configuration and still provide enough cranking amps at 12V. I'm back to square one. 24V alternator and two more bats, voltage regulator, Dam I really don't want to have to do that tho. Maybe I could just use that slick wiring trick on the two bats in the back and charge them off the 12V poles and use them off the 24V poles. I'd need a bigger alternator,

Oh well hope that answered all your questions.
cheers
next time I build this thing I'd run a big 4" helical exhaust tube through the tank itself, as it is I'm trying to figure out how I can both pump fluid through the exchanger or have it work by convection, without modifying the existing tank. Which would mean draining what I've got in it now and cleaning out the tank so I could weld and cut on it. I suppose I could just fill it with CO2 If it was just welding but, I get nervous about the occasional explosion.

Last edited:

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No worries Tom. The simple answer is, I'm still working on it.

If you want the long answer

I've run the filter with both pre-filtered ( down to about 50 microns if I'm lucky ) veggie oil and used motor oil. The system is primarily designed for used motor oil. I've got farm plates on it, so I can carry up to 502 gallons of the stuff, no permit, no EPA. Its a 200 gallon tank designed to carry as much as the truck will hold. Its a F250 but it holds one ton just fine. Given my millage before the rebuild it should give me a range of about 3000+ miles. Basically one good road trip. I prefer the used motor oil but veggie works as well, you just have to be careful about engine temps.

The centrifuge might not be a part of the final configuration, it puts a lot of strain on the system. I might add another pump but its probably not worth it. The filters work best in the 20lb range with no more than about 4lbs cross pressure difference, or the pop valves go. Other than on that first filter which has about a 20lb pop valve in it. The purilators are excellent filters but they are a little delicate. The centrifuge runs best at 100lb so you can see where sneaking up on 100lbs with no more than 4lbs cross pressure difference might be more trouble than its worth. Without the centrifuge there is no constriction in the system. free flowing 1/2 inch lines right off the head all the way. The double filters means that the flow is halved at each filter, slower = better in this case.

the filters run orange ( ~20 microns ) white ( about 5 microns ) gold ( about 1 micron ) then into the centrifuge and then into the big water separator and from there back into the tank. There is an overpressure bleeder valve ahead of the filters that sends excess pressure back to the tank. There is a baffle in the tank that sorta separates filtered from unfiltered. Actually I just return to one side and draw from the other.

The centrifuge arrived stripped from the factory and although they didn't want to believe it they agreed to take it back, that was months ago and I've not had the time to get to the post orifice. I know I'm a procrastinator and I might have lost my window of opportunity on that one but oh well. I don't think I really need the centrifuge anyway.

There is also an exhaust heat exchanger going in ahead of everything. So my pumps gotta be running pretty much whenever the trucks running. Although I don't think my exhaust gas temp at that point in the system is ever going to be above the 300°C mark which is the low end of the boiling point for motor oil. Might boil veggie tho, so there is a bypass going back to the tank where pressure can bleed off at the cap. I hope, wish me luck on that one.

The viscosity issue is also kinda critical. The pump and all quick connectors are above the level of fluid in the tank for safety reasons, but it means I gotta watch the viscosity of the fluid. I've got about 100 gallons of veggie oil in the back yard and I'm planing on cooking up 20 gallons at a time into bio-diesel and mixing it with the motor oil. Should do the trick at 1/10 which is probably a bit much but I also want the cleaning properties of the bio to help keep the tank clean and the gunk in the filters where it belongs.

I'm also working on a pyrolysis system and just frak the motor oil directly into diesel but thats down the road a bit. Gotta finish the truck first. Thats also not an onboard system, Thing about Fraking is that I could use shredded tires, which has a friend of mine on capitol hill's interest as the states awash in tires. Long story for a different thread but I've got an economically viable way to produce vehicle grade fuel from used car tires. Its small, clean, cheap, and it works. On paper. ;-)

I really like the two battery set up, ( hope you all forgive me for thinking out loud on this thing, but I can always do a better job if I get a little consulting time in ). I'd seen it before but I was hoping I could avoid the charging issues, maybe by simply going straight off a 24V alternator,. I'm now thinking its more complicated than simply hooking up some heaters as resistors in the two bat system posted above and I appreciate all the help

I am concerned about uneven discharge on the bats and would love to hear more about how that diode bridge goes in. I'm not completely unfamiliar with electrical systems but if you could run me through the logic I'd appreciate it. I know what they do, ( only allow the flow of electrons in one direction ) but how they are sized and how compatible are they with the internals on the batteries.

I'm generally not to bad with electronics as long as its thoroughly explained, For instance are we talking about schlotsky diodes which require a heat sink or those little round ones that are designed for pretty much no voltage.

Dam I just thought of something, I need both bats under the hood at 12V, Basically I can't rewire them in this configuration and still provide enough cranking amps at 12V. I'm back to square one. 24V alternator and two more bats, voltage regulator, Dam I really don't want to have to do that tho. Maybe I could just use that slick wiring trick on the two bats in the back and charge them off the 12V poles and use them off the 24V poles. I'd need a bigger alternator,

Oh well hope that answered all your questions.
cheers
next time I build this thing I'd run a big 4" helical exhaust tube through the tank itself, as it is I'm trying to figure out how I can both pump fluid through the exchanger or have it work by convection, without modifying the existing tank. Which would mean draining what I've got in it now and cleaning out the tank so I could weld and cut on it. I suppose I could just fill it with CO2 If it was just welding but, I get nervous about the occasional explosion.

That's some great schnitz Boston. I polish diesel fuel as one of my services, so pumps and filters get me aaaaawl spooled up!

In the two battery system, I wouldn't worry a whole lot about uneven drain. Batteries basically level themselves out, like liquid in two uneven tanks limbered at the bottom. Unless you're abusing the system in some manner, not paying attention to battery health, like proper fluid levels, frozen temperatures, pulling their reserve too far down, or over heating them, there shouldn't be too much dilemma.

As far as the battery isolator/combiners, simplistic explanation, they're just basic diodes and resistors with a charging post in the middle of a fairly good sized heat sink- usually aluminum if I'm not mistaken. They do use some power as does a converter, however, typically not as much. Remember though, the combiner will only separate one voltage, not two. I personally think they're a waste of time, but, they do keep a bad battery from dragging down a good one. You usually see these things installed after there's been an "incident" and someone selling up a "system".

What I would worry about most is charge(you even realize that in your reply to me), not volts. Making sure your alternator is putting out enough amps to replace the watts used by the pump. With 200 gallons of veggie, it will pump slow- I'm guessing at best 6 gal/min, even with a gear pump, although you've got nice fat hoses to reduce restriction. That's 30 minutes, optimally, on a full tank of veg.

I see your heat issues, why not just plumb in your coolant water? Good flow, no weak spots created from high heat, as in exhaust systems-welds will fail faster with exhaust heat than coolant heat. You could use a heater coil out of a small 10 gallon hot water heater. Open up the top of the tank, install the water coil and bolt on a tank inspection plate. You could even weld into the inspection plate, the fittings for the heater coil, this way, you don't risk welding on a used potentially flammable tank, especially down low where a tank/weld failure could result in 200 gallons of waste motor oil on the streets.

BTW, splitting the exhaust is a no-brainer, you can even use stainless flexi-pipe to route the system. Although not too smart, it would be kind of fun to see the exhaust coming straight up through the top of the tank...vibration will kill this system, I'd avoid using exhaust as your heat source through the tank, better to pump hot water through.

BTWBTW- The batteries in your system, I would use dual purpose deep cycles. That is, starter/house type batteries. I can easily see you pumping for hours, used veggie out of some restaurant in the snow judging from your home location.... that will take some time, well over the 30 minute guesstimate I made earlier, you'll need good batteries and great alternator.... maybe even one of those 300 amp ambulance rigs I keep reading about on here. I prefer Trojan brand deep cycles, but I'm sure you've got some good brands too.

BTWBTWBTW- those centrifuges work really well....ESPECIALLY!.... on used motor oil. A magnetized 20u coalescer/filter, followed by that centrifuge, then filtered down to 1u is a great system. When you install the magnet and large filter first, you limit the particulate in the centrifuge, this will save you tons of money in smaller filters when doing the process you're describing. Those 'fuges are pretty awesome. The kewl thing is, they can bolt right into the top of a tank and just dump clean oil back.

The only reason I'd put the 20u filter in place is to house the magnet and reduce the amount of crud the centrifuge has to deal with. When pulling fry oil, there can be a lot of sediment to overwhelm the 'fuge. Large quantities of used ATF and motor oil can have the same dilemma, except metal filings. Since you're doing this in the field, that is how I'd set up the filter arrangement. If you were just pumping raw oil into the tank for later processing, then who cares, other than keeping the bottom of the tank clean and parts out of the pump.

Why are you reacting the veggie, instead of running it straight? Seems costly in time, hazards, and money. Running straight veg at proper temps avoids all the hassles, plus the added benefit of additional lubricity and lower engine temps, with similar torque- if not more- as DFM#2.

I like your used motor oil idea with reacted diesel though. I think that is pretty kewl, stretching out the reacted stuff to reduce some of the negatives of reacting mentioned above.

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bio-diesel is probably the most effective viscosity modifying tool I have for the WMO it only takes about 5% for best results but as I mentioned I want that cleaning effect. My welder forgot the inspection cut out on the top of the tank and I didn't notice till it was to late. WMO doesn't carmelize if you run it at the wrong temps, Besides by summer I'll be swimming in diesel and not even use the system. Maybe. But this things great for the road and I could find a fill up of WMO just about anywhere, whereas folks are fighting for WVO these days.

So your suggesting I use that HP-1 20 micron filter "ahead of the pump eh" I guess it is just a rock strainer anyway. High flow and high pop pressure, but still pulling instead of pushing the fluid through might cause some problems. whats your experience with that and what exact filter do you use?

One thing driving me nuts is I don't know what kinda gear pump that is. Its got a plate on it with some numbers but thats about it for identification. Got it for $20 out of a surplus store. Works OK but I think its pretty worn out. And you were right on about how long it takes to fill that thing, forever pretty much covers it. I also calculated 60 gph on the filtering process. so it takes about 3 hours 20 to actually get one good filter on the fluid and even then its probably not all clean due to mixing issues. I let it run whenever the truck in running and then filter it again when I fill up the forward tank. So far I've kept straight diesel in the back tank to start and stop on.

The radiator fluid is sacred in my book, Engines gotta be allowed to heat and that heat drawn in a specific way off the block less I end up with uneven heat distribution. And its slow. The exhaust heat exchanger is fast, cheap, and serves to "draw" the fumes through the system. As long as I don't boil anything I'm fine.

I tortured myself with maybe cutting a circle out of the tank to run an exhaust stack up. But the modification at this time is just to expensive, that and I can always go back and do it later once I get all the kinks worked out of the present set up. Silly as it sounds this is pretty much turning out to be a practice unit. I'll do one up eventually thats not a hodge podge of idears

I think my cheapest and most efficient plan on getting 24V to that motor has been found. Two bed mounted bats with a larger alternator and some heating pads for the forward tank to provide the resistance.

Now to go learn what size wire I have to run from where back to the bats. Its gotta come off the regulator doesn't it? not straight off the alternator ?
I should know that one but I'm not really a mechanic
might be worthy of its own thread = how do you wire in a separate battery off an existing alternator

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828