Can a 1988 F Superduty ZF-5 speed be converted to 4wd?

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a 1988 F Superduty with a flatbed and a 460 engine for sale down the road. It had a sign in it for $500, so I had to stop. It is non op'ed, but will take $284 to register because of weight fees. The truck starts and moves. My main motivation for the truck would be the tranmission to put into my 1987 which is 4wd. Can you hang a transfer case behind these transmissions? I know that since it is a gas transmission it will have to have some drilling done to the bellhousing.

Thanks for any advice,

Archie

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a 1988 F Superduty with a flatbed and a 460 engine for sale down the road. It had a sign in it for $500, so I had to stop. It is non op'ed, but will take $284 to register because of weight fees. The truck starts and moves. My main motivation for the truck would be the tranmission to put into my 1987 which is 4wd. Can you hang a transfer case behind these transmissions? I know that since it is a gas transmission it will have to have some drilling done to the bellhousing.

Thanks for any advice,

Archie

Ok there is one simple answer to this question since you already know about the drilling of holes.

If this is a true SD and has a DRUM parking brake mounted to the tailshaft of the transmission, then yes, that ubolts with 6 bolts slide off and a tcase is then slipped on...the SD with drum brakes....which is all that I know of...is a 4wd trans !!! Nuff said!

Looks just like this piece here as a stand alone

You must be registered for see images attach

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have a 4wd diesel trans I'm willing to trade for the 460 4wd trans if you want to simplfy things. i have a 460 truck that would love to see a ZF behind it.